We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Prudential AVC miss-selling – advice needed please.

Options
Hi,
My wife and myself could do with some advice please. We have been paying into the Prudential AVC teacher’s scheme since 1993. We believe that we were miss-sold this product as we were never told about any options such as buying past added years. It seemed that the Prudential AVC was the, ‘only’ one around at that time.
We have complained to Prudential and they have rejected our complaint. Apparently we can have our case reviewed by their, ‘Internal Review Panel’ or an independent complaint authority such as, ‘The Pensions Advisory Service’ or ‘The Pensions Ombudsman’. Should we refer to their, ‘panel’ or with the Pensions Advisory Service’ or ‘The Pensions Ombudsman’? Or do you think we won’t get anywhere?
We would appreciate your comments and advice.
Take care.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We believe that we were miss-sold this product as we were never told about any options such as buying past added years.

Its funny that over the years people have complained about being sold FSAVCs then when they became better than AVCs due to rule changes people complained about that. Then other rules changes occur and it happens again. Thankfully most of these get rejected nowadays.
    We believe that we were miss-sold this product as we were never told about any options such as buying past added years.

It is not their job to tell you of the other options. It would have been had you bought FSAVCs but not AVCs.
    We have complained to Prudential and they have rejected our complaint.

What reason did you give? That would be key for us knowing why.
    Or do you think we won’t get anywhere?

I think its unlikely as 1) its an AVC not an FSAVC (one being them acting on your request and the other being set up through advice) and 2) its largely a hindsight complaint. i.e. you are using hindsight to decide which option was best and complaining you didnt have the other.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Grrra wrote: »
    Hi,
    My wife and myself could do with some advice please. We have been paying into the Prudential AVC teacher’s scheme since 1993. We believe that we were miss-sold this product as we were never told about any options such as buying past added years. It seemed that the Prudential AVC was the, ‘only’ one around at that time.

Who did you ask advice from at the time?
  • Sobraon
    Sobraon Posts: 325 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2011 at 9:22PM
    Options
    Grrra, sorry to hear that you are yet another teacher who (in my view) was "sucked" in to the Prudential AVC scheme. I resisted the siren song of the pru sales force and the subtle support they were given by the TPS (for instance, how did the Pru get my home address and employers name?). Luckily, I chose to pay for PAY and AP along side the main TPS scheme and I am glad I did.

In my last dealings with the Pru after yet another mailing I insisted they tell me any advantage they could name for the Pru AVC scheme, after much head scratching and attempts to sideline my question as "advice which I would need to speak to an IFA to have addressed" the question was "escalated", the answer given was that I could pay my contributions direct from pay without having to talk to HMRC (wow!).

A friend of mine who is approaching normal retirement age this year was in tears before Easter when he he reviewed the Pru scheme performance. He will have to continue work for at least another year.
  • Grrra
    Grrra Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Many thanks for the replies.
    A representative from the Pru’ called at my school to give a, ‘presentation’. Neither my wife or myself were present. The following day I noticed a poster advertising these AVC’s, following which we asked a rep’ from the Pru’ to call. From both our memory banks we cannot recall him informing us of any other options available to us at the time – the only one was the Pru’s AVC. We have since learnt that this was not the case.
    Take care.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,406 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2011 at 10:28PM
    Options
    Grrra wrote: »
    A representative from the Pru’ called at my school to give a, ‘presentation’. Neither my wife or myself were present. The following day I noticed a poster advertising these AVC’s, following which we asked a rep’ from the Pru’ to call.

So basically you made the contact with the Prudential and you were told what they could do for you.
    From both our memory banks we cannot recall him informing us of any other options available to us at the time – the only one was the Pru’s AVC.

If you had contacted the Halifax about their products would you have expected them to tell you that the Abbey or NatWest sold such and such a product?

I'm afraid if you wanted advice on what would be best for you, you should have taken advice from an IFA. The Prudential have done nothing wrong as you contacted them about AVCs and that is what they gave you.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From both our memory banks we cannot recall him informing us of any other options available to us at the time – the only one was the Pru’s AVC. We have since learnt that this was not the case.

As mentioned, they were flogging their product effectively on a presentation and information only basis. If you wanted to be aware of all the options then you needed to seek financial advice. You effectively bought without advice and therefore cannot complain that advice was not given.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport