Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 21st Feb 11, 9:44 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    "The tastiest technical solution MSE forum's infrared solution" blog discussion
    • 21st Feb 11, 9:44 AM
    "The tastiest technical solution MSE forum's infrared solution" blog discussion 21st Feb 11 at 9:44 AM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
    Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 21-02-2011 at 9:48 AM.
Page 1
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 21st Feb 11, 10:37 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 12,870 Thanks
    tgroom57
    • 21st Feb 11, 10:37 AM
    • 21st Feb 11, 10:37 AM
    Sweet dreams !
    (Sure it wasn't infrabed?)
  • pandora_ann
    • 21st Feb 11, 10:57 AM
    • 21st Feb 11, 10:57 AM
    I spotted this when I was looking for energy saving equipment, seems like it might do a better job but I haven't tried it yet...

"The PowerSafer TV power saving unit is an energy saving device that eliminates standby power waste, so saving you money and reducing CO2 emissions. It works directly with your TV's remote - all you have to do is plug your TV in."

It's priced at 12.99, which isn't too bad for this type of thing. I can't post the link as I'm a 'new user' but I'm sure a quick google search would come up with it.

Might be a better option than leaving the TV permanently on standby.
  • Iand1
    • 21st Feb 11, 11:17 AM
    • 21st Feb 11, 11:17 AM
    I had the same problem (must be the same TV!) I used the power saver plug from Juice that was given away free

It was mentioned on the MSE email, suprised Martin didnt order himself one!!!!

Like the idea of the quality street though, yum yum.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 21st Feb 11, 12:27 PM
    • 11,856 Posts
    • 11,395 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 21st Feb 11, 12:27 PM
    • 21st Feb 11, 12:27 PM
    The other solution, Martin, is to have children.

Things like that used to keep me awake but now, as long as the kids are asleep, I'll sleep through anything!

Oh, and if people do want to go down the sweet wrapper route, can anyone suggest non-Nestle alternatives?
  • bagpuss
    • 21st Feb 11, 2:17 PM
    • 21st Feb 11, 2:17 PM
    What a great solution and even better you get to eat the sweets too LOL!!!
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 21st Feb 11, 3:01 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 9,092 Thanks
    TallGirl
    • 21st Feb 11, 3:01 PM
    • 21st Feb 11, 3:01 PM
    The techie board are fantastic they have helped me so many times and saved me 1000 . Once my new TV turned pink they identified I had not plugged the scart lead in also helped twice with washing machines and dishwasher. Once time they helped fixed a nasty computer virus as Norton wanted to charge me 60 for and I was paying for their annual subscription.

Those people on there deserve a medal so well done Martin for mentioning them.
  • pinkcanna
    • 21st Feb 11, 3:23 PM
    thanks
    • 21st Feb 11, 3:23 PM
    i'm sure that tip will help lots of users. i have an alarm clock radio that is too bright and doesnt have a dimmer switch so i'll try this (though i want to still be able to read the time). i've already got the wrappers, i knew they'd come in useful eventually, though i had thought it would be for crafting.
  • paulneale
    • 21st Feb 11, 4:11 PM
    Finger + Wall Socket Switch = Free
    • 21st Feb 11, 4:11 PM
    It's priced at 12.99, which isn't too bad for this type of thing....Might be a better option than leaving the TV permanently on standby.
    Originally posted by pandora_ann
    That would have to be a seriously hungry LED to use 13 of electricity! I think you'd be dead before you broke even, and whether the environment would ever get pay-back on the resources used to make those sorts of devices is questionable to say the least!
    • shazzprozz
    • By shazzprozz 21st Feb 11, 5:13 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    shazzprozz
    just switch it off!!
    • shazzprozz
    • By shazzprozz 21st Feb 11, 5:20 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    shazzprozz
    these were free to certain people from this website(or similar)i have one but was not sure what it was exactly supposed to do! not tried it yet! will now.
    • ShaneUK
    • By ShaneUK 22nd Feb 11, 7:16 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 6,907 Thanks
    ShaneUK
    Not very Money Saving though Martin, is it. First of all not one, but two tins/boxes of chocolates. Did you really need them, or were you just buying them for a sweet wrapper. Perhaps if it was for the wrapper, a large "purple one" or similar (you can get them on their own) would have been a better option? Much cheaper as well.

Secondly - switching off at the wall would be a better option, or a free gadget that turns off items left on standyby, which of course is then better for the environment, but also better for your pocket as you spend a little less on electricity.

Admittedly I did have a similar problem recently. I bought a new alarm clock, that was also an iPod dock. Only problem was, when it was plugged in the blue hew of the light from the clock literally lit up the whole room! The only solution was to turn the clock around so it was against the wall - not very helpful for reading the time though when you wake up at 4 in the morning! Only solution was to get a different one.
    Last edited by ShaneUK; 22-02-2011 at 7:19 AM.
  • pandora_ann
    That would have to be a seriously hungry LED to use 13 of electricity! I think you'd be dead before you broke even, and whether the environment would ever get pay-back on the resources used to make those sorts of devices is questionable to say the least!
    Originally posted by paulneale
    It was just a suggestion, like I said, I haven't actually tried one. We're always being told much money we can save by not leaving things on standby but some plugs are too hard to reach without moving heavy furniture. But I guess leaving things on standby isn't really a problem at all then.
  • Tupperware_Queen
    why not use the free lime socket thingy that switches the socket off when you turn off the TV...do you know how much a TV on standby costs!!!
    Getting fit for 2013 - Starting weight 10.1.13 88.1kg
    Weight 27.3.13 79.1kg weight 2.4.13 79.9kg Weight 24.4.13 77.8kg. 4.6.13 76kg

BSC member 331
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 23rd Feb 11, 8:12 AM
    • 11,856 Posts
    • 11,395 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    How much does a TV on standby cost?
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 23rd Feb 11, 3:09 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 2,722 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    why not use the free lime socket thingy that switches the socket off when you turn off the TV...do you know how much a TV on standby costs!!!
    Originally posted by Tupperware_Queen
    Has anyone else received a product recall for one of these? Sorry - a little off topic, but was originally free via this site!
    • foundationsmcr
    • By foundationsmcr 23rd Feb 11, 5:52 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    foundationsmcr
    I have to say I'm surprised that you've not considered the obvious and cheapest option (as someone else has said) switch it off at the mains?!

Hardly MSE methodology.
    • soya
    • By soya 23rd Feb 11, 6:09 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    soya
    Has anyone else received a product recall for one of these? Sorry - a little off topic, but was originally free via this site!
    Originally posted by natsplatnat
    got a product recall letter last month.... haven't receive the replacement yet.
    • rpb
    • By rpb 25th Feb 11, 11:08 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    rpb
    13 watt years
    Originally posted by paulneale
    For a modern TV you'd like to think it would use little power on standby, although Martin's TV is doing more than just lighting the LED! The LED shouldn't take more than a few tens of milliwatts, but there is also the IR detection circuitry running (so the remote can turn the TV on), plus loss in the transformer and various other places, plus usage elsewhere depending on what else the designers have the TV do when it's in standby (plus a lot more waste the older the TV is).

As I mentioned in another post, a rough rule-of-thumb (at current electricity prices) is that each watt an appliance uses, if left on all the time (24 hours a day), costs about a pound a year. So for a 13 "smartplug" to pay for itself you'd have to use it to save 13 watts for a year, or one watt for 13 years, etc. And for environmental reasons you'd need it to save much more than that to offset the carbon footprint of manufacturing the smart plug in the first place, shipping it, store overhead, etc., plus all its other footprints (heavy metals used in its manufacture, damage to the planet in mining for its resources, factory inefficiencies, etc.)

[Update - title should have read "13 watt years"!]
    Last edited by rpb; 25-02-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Typo in title
    • WallyBird
    • By WallyBird 25th Feb 11, 11:00 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    WallyBird
    got a product recall letter last month.... haven't receive the replacement yet.
    Originally posted by soya
    Same here!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,438Posts Today

7,183Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin