Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 107
  • Mothership
    My other purse
    I thought this might be a good time to tell you all about my OTHER Purse. I'd have told you before but I didn't have time to sit down and explain how it works.

About 30 years ago I started putting 10 per month in a separate purse in my handbag , that I keep JUST for special offers and bargains.

Its saved me many a time when funds have been low especially when the children were small (4 of them).

The purse works like a BANK, if you do it like I do and build up a good stock, that stock effectively becomes your own STORE, for eg; if you buy three bags of sugar that are usually 1 each and you get them for 50p each, you've saved 1.50. What I do is when I use one of the bags of sugar 1 goes in the purse along with any other money I owe it.

If anyone would like to know more about the PURSE/BANK and would like to start doing it, and need any help I'm happy to help.

At first I kept a list of all the stock I had and ticked off as I used one, then I knew what was running low. Once a week I would pay the PURSE/BANK what I owed, once a month the 10 was paid to the purse.
    So for example if I had used 5 worth of my stock, the following month there was 15 in the PURSE/BANK.

I buy as many as I can of what's on offer, usually in multiples of three.
    This month sugar was only 50p a bag so I bought 12 = 6. A years supply (check items will be in date by the time you use them.
    Last month it was teabags on B!!!F I use 1 a month, but had 3 in stock , so I bought nine of those, think they were 3 each full price.
    The month before that, coffee was on offer I use 1 jar every two months so a years stock is 6 Jars, if it has a LONG date I would buy more maybe another 3, so I would have 1 1/2 years worth of coffee.
    The month before that it was the pasta we use all the time it was 3 for 2 normal price 1 per pack. I use about 1 bag per month. I only had one pack in stock so I bought 6. 7 months pasta all dated Aug 2012, so will be well used before then.

When I first started doing this I just bought 3-6 of everything. Up to the value of what I had in the PURSE/BANK.

After about a year of doing this I had a great stock. There was about 150 in the purse. At the time that was about what I spent to feed the whole family for 2-3 months. And the things I needed on a weekly basis became less and less. Until all I had to buy on a weekly basis was meat fresh fruit and veg and perishables.
    Occasionally if an unexpected bill came in or one of the kids needed shoes in a hurry, I took the money from the purse, I didn't ever pay this back .
    At one time I had around 1000 in the PURSE/BANK I put 900 of that in a safe place, leaving only 100 in the PURSE.

Heres the good bit.

After my shopping lists, I have a wish list, and a never in my wildest dreams list.
    It meant if I saw something I would like I could buy it for eg: I LOVE Le Creuset, so I'd maybe buy myself something from the range. That was on my wish list.
    My TV ariel got struck by lightning and blew up my TV, I got 500 from my insurance to replace it. I took 500 from The PURSE/BANK. And purchased a TV that I would NEVER have been able to buy so that was classed as being on my Never in my wildest dreams list.
    This was my REWARD for being thrifty. And I'm still ENJOYING the TV

When I joined MSE I had 900 in the PURSE/BANK. I was able to take advantage of any GRABBITS or GLITCHES I found. I had a grand old time LOL. It took my STOCKPILING to a whole new level, as before I only really used the PURSE/BANK for groceries/ household /supplies etc.
    I now have a great stock of toiletries/ makeup/gifts, all things that will be used within a year.

I've never spent so little and got so much. Or had so much fun doing it.

I used to visit the old style threads and read the posts, I LOVE the idea of the grocery challenge. I had been taught all the basic survival skills, all the old school ways, and stopped using them. I had become what the BIG boys had made me, the rebel in me played them at their own game and my family got the benefit of any profits.
    But I hated what I'd become, there was a time when you couldn't buy convenience meals, and I would never have dreamt of buying them. But little by little I ended up buying what they wanted to sell me.

I hope you will all forgive me for not telling you all about the PURSE/BANK from the outset, I mentioned in an earlier post that there was a great sadness hanging over my family, I cant talk about it to anyone just yet as we are LIVING it at the moment, and I'm having to be strong for my family, even though I'm just about to bawl my head off.

I found something totally unexpected when I joined this challenge, and it isn't on ANY other thread 'human kindness' and like minded people.
    In spite of my PURSE/BANK cushion I was still not doing it right, but I'm getting there, with all your help and support, thank you for that. All of you.
    Last edited by Mothership; 24-01-2011 at 8:58 AM.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 24th Jan 11, 9:06 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    Im loving the purse/bank idea, I have to agree I was one of the people who bought convience food more so when I had my children and yet if you are prepared and organised cooking meals from scratch doesnt take that long. we treated our selves to a take away on saturday meal for 4 it cost 30 and took an hour to arrive and it will be the last one we have for a very long time!! I did walk round the house muttering I could have cooked one cheaper and quicker but it was supposed to be a treat for the family for being so good this month with money saving.

I also have a wish list 2 things have been crossed off as I was treated to my jam and chutney books from OH for reorganising the whole family (special off from the book people at work 2 books for 10 should have cost 25) and my circular needles set of 10 for 5.99 from ebay. I have just added a few more things on to my wish list eg piping set, sausage maker (is still on there), new chopping boards.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 24th Jan 11, 9:09 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Nipped into Coop to get a small bottle of OJ (from my treat budget, wouldn't normally but trying to attack this cold with Vit C from every angle) and ended up getting some milk when in there. That takes me pennies over the GC budget this week but not overly worried about that!
  • Mothership
    Im loving the purse/bank idea, I have to agree I was one of the people who bought convience food more so when I had my children and yet if you are prepared and organised cooking meals from scratch doesnt take that long. we treated our selves to a take away on saturday meal for 4 it cost 30 and took an hour to arrive and it will be the last one we have for a very long time!! I did walk round the house muttering I could have cooked one cheaper and quicker but it was supposed to be a treat for the family for being so good this month with money saving.

I also have a wish list 2 things have been crossed off as I was treated to my jam and chutney books from OH for reorganising the whole family (special off from the book people at work 2 books for 10 should have cost 25) and my circular needles set of 10 for 5.99 from ebay. I have just added a few more things on to my wish list eg piping set, sausage maker (is still on there), new chopping boards.
    Originally posted by happycrafter
    I got something that had been on my wish list for years with your help (the planc) I LOVE IT!
    And I needed two new chopping boards, I got them FREE for recommending a friend from that online butcher. AND I have a piping set on my list too, I search the Grabbit board every morning looking for one LOL. And I'm just about to venture into the world of chutneys and jams.

I see your a knitter, I am too. I write and illustrate children's books the illustrations are knitted, I'm too scared to post a link to my website in case I get into trouble, as when I first joined MSE I had wool I wasn't going to use that I was happy to give away free for the cost of the postage. I got jumped on from a great height. I was really surprised to see another author started a thread on Grabbit, I thought you weren't allowed to use this site for self promotion.

Glad you like the PURSE/BANK idea, it really does work, my girls do it now, we keep lookout for bargains for each other. We could take it to a new level on this thread.
    2nd Purse 100
    • MummyEm
    • By MummyEm 24th Jan 11, 9:41 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 5,144 Thanks
    MummyEm
    Did an A*** order last night for delivery tonight. Only ordered what we needed to get us through this week as getting very close to target and really don't want to go over. Came to approx 60 will update when I have the total on delivery. Also need to get approx 10 worth of bits from Lidl tomorrow - milk, ham and squash. Will only spend what I have left, maybe keep 2 for anything I have forgotten.
    I could have spent quite a bit less this month but have been slowly trying to fill our new freezer.
    I am going to investigate the veg boxes too. I really like the idea but worry that it wouldn't get used. I will eat anything but DH would have green beans and carrots or peas and sweetcorn with every meal! I have expanded his tastes slightly as he does now eat broccoli but that has taken 3 years and only in small amounts!!
    For example, what is Kale, what would I do with it?! Root veggies are ok as I would put most in beef stew.
    I think I may aim to try one new recipe per week and see how it goes. We have lots of new meat cuts to use that I haven't ever cooked with I suppose we could try one new veg per week too.

Right off to make some fairy cakes as DD has a friend coming to play this afternoon and I have absolutely nothing in for snacks as have been running everything down. May also defrost some bananas to make a banana loaf.
    MFW original end date 295000 Nov 2039 currently 224,824.58 Jul 2035 Dream end date Nov 2025
    2017 Target EF 20,000/ 20,000 OP 2390.10/1900
    TOTAL OP 2014 1042.60 OP 2015 3357.75 OP 2016 6480.98 Family Loan 17000.00
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 24th Jan 11, 9:52 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    I got something that had been on my wish list for years with your help (the planc) I LOVE IT!
    And I needed two new chopping boards, I got them FREE for recommending a friend from that online butcher. AND I have a piping set on my list too, I search the Grabbit board every morning looking for one LOL. And I'm just about to venture into the world of chutneys and jams.

I see your a knitter, I am too. I write and illustrate children's books the illustrations are knitted, I'm too scared to post a link to my website in case I get into trouble, as when I first joined MSE I had wool I wasn't going to use that I was happy to give away free for the cost of the postage. I got jumped on from a great height. I was really surprised to see another author started a thread on Grabbit, I thought you weren't allowed to use this site for self promotion.

Glad you like the PURSE/BANK idea, it really does work, my girls do it now, we keep lookout for bargains for each other. We could take it to a new level on this thread.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    I saw piping sets in Ikea at the weekend 5.10 i think they were you get a cake leveller, spreader, bag and nozzles. I didnt get one as I wanted to see if there were better sets any where else.

can you not put a link to your website on your MSE use control panel, I did a link to my blog that way just copy and paste the url in to the space for it. Then anyone can use the link to see what you get up to. lots of people on the crafty threads all have blogs and some of the stuff they make is amazing.
  • rosieben
    Mothership, your 'other purse' idea is really great! I'll be thinking about this and whether I can start something on the same lines, thank you!

Like you I've been through the buying convenience foods etc etc; years ago I gave away ALL my baking and cooking equipment - I was working full time and living in town and shops/take outs were all around me

sending positive thoughts your way as you deal with your difficulties
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • kalojac
    • By kalojac 24th Jan 11, 10:05 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 5,363 Thanks
    kalojac
    Just popped in cause I've been into my spreadsheet to update it, and I have been dreading my total but it looks good so far.... 220.48.

Have kept a spreadsheet since 1/1/11, and have different sub headings, groceries, petrol, school lunches, lotto, work coffee, birthdays etc and have been keeping tab of every penny and just totalled my groceries column to find that nice surprise, and pay day is on Friday and have enough meal planning done to cover the next 4 nights supper, so I don't think my total will be much more than the above.

My mam is great though, if she's in Tesco she does often come up by with her BIGIF freebies to me once or twice a month which is a fantastic help.

On the downside my column does only show 3 NSDs so far, and alas it looks as though my 10 NSD target for January will not be met this month.

Thanks for the thread, and all your tips x
    Last edited by kalojac; 24-01-2011 at 10:07 AM.
  • wssla00
    Morning all Right.... declaring at 170.58

Pretty good and on the plus side after a very sad week of worry- I HAVE A NEW JOB!!!!!!! I start next week and am really pleased. I am happy because although the job I was doing was on paper a "good job" I absolutely hated it and the stress of it made my illness worse. So everything is back to normal once again

Going to be asked to be put down for 200 this month again, as I will need lunches and OH is back on day shifts so he needs dinners again! Plus we are both joining WW again so will be needing to keep an eye on things again.

Going to make some chilli tonight and either have it with jacket potatoes or wedges. I'm not sure yet.

Anyway- have a good day all, I'm off to clean up the house and ponder my new job

XX
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
  • Mothership
    I saw piping sets in Ikea at the weekend 5.10 i think they were you get a cake leveller, spreader, bag and nozzles. I didnt get one as I wanted to see if there were better sets any where else.

can you not put a link to your website on your MSE use control panel, I did a link to my blog that way just copy and paste the url in to the space for it. Then anyone can use the link to see what you get up to. lots of people on the crafty threads all have blogs and some of the stuff they make is amazing.
    Originally posted by happycrafter
    I added the links to my websites, I had them on before but took them off, when I got reported for offering the free wool.

This might be a good time to tell you all I'm working on a POUNDSTRETCHER book at the moment. My PURSE/BANK stuff will be going in and possibly my Grocery Challenge experience too. It wont be like Martins book. Just based on my own experience. My girls have adopted my ways, and are doing really well.
    2nd Purse 100
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 24th Jan 11, 10:49 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled
    Mothership, your 'other purse' idea is really great! I'll be thinking about this and whether I can start something on the same lines, thank you!
    Originally posted by rosieben
    I'm going to try PURSE/BANK starting in February. This month (Jan) has been my first ever at trying in the GC and altho I've done ok, I also spent more on stocking up when things are on offer, than I'd planned for (e.g. 1.00 Branston Beans x4). I don't want to miss out buying these cheap deals when they're around, so I think P/Bank is a great idea.

THANKS MOTHERSHIP
    • kippers
    • By kippers 24th Jan 11, 11:00 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    kippers
    Bit of a crisis now in the PennyGrabber household. BF left today,
    Still, I'm determined 2011 is going to be my year, I've had quite a few @@@@ years in a row now, so it's got to be my turn for a good one now!!
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    Well done for being positive...we are all here for you.

I thought this might be a good time to tell you all about my OTHER Purse.
    I hope you will all forgive me for not telling you all about the PURSE/BANK from the outset, I mentioned in an earlier post that there was a great sadness hanging over my family, I cant talk about it to anyone just yet as we are LIVING it at the moment, and I'm having to be strong for my family, even though I'm just about to bawl my head off.

I found something totally unexpected when I joined this challenge, and it isn't on ANY other thread 'human kindness' and like minded people.
    In spite of my PURSE/BANK cushion I was still not doing it right, but I'm getting there, with all your help and support, thank you for that. All of you.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Purse/bank idea is great, thanks for posting it. What ever is happening in your life i just want you to know we are all thinking of you.

Well i've done my first big shop for the Feb GC and i've updated my signature.
    Tonight i am making a curry for me, DD1 and DH...and my DD2 is have two friends for tea, both fussy eaters, so i'm cooking them fishfingers, chips and tinned spaghetti.

Thanks to the GC and Martins forum our debt is coming down nicely and should be paid off in a couple of months, so me and my DH are really really pleased with ourselves. So thanks for all the help I get on here from everyone
    • nessie216
    • By nessie216 24th Jan 11, 11:03 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    nessie216
    Hi,

Thursday was a NSD
    Friday was a NSD
    Saturday was 90.52 spend on 106 items! (ddt 7.20 for DH food) but i did stock up my cupboards which were very bare!
    Sunday was a NSD
    Hopefully today will be a NSD!

So looking good so far - just 83.32 66.68 left until 19th Feb! But only Guinea pigs to feed (approx 10 a week) and topping up on fruit for me - does anyone know if Mr S is doing the 3 for 5 offer on frozen fruit still?

I am determined to use up freezer stuff - a little hard when i am doing SW and most of the stuff is not SW friendly! But DH can eat that!

Just a note the 150 is for feeding me and my guineas but i do the shopping for all of us (incl DH and DHs Rabbit) and ddt what i spend on him! Works out better for us as he practically lives on jacket potatoes, cheese (alot of it!), bread, ham, tomatoes, crisps and chocolate bars, with plenty of fizzy & tea with sugar to wash it down! He very rarely eats what i eat as he says it is 'diet' food and doesn't taste nice. lol

Complicated but i understand it!

I am hoping only to shop now once a week to re-stock veggies for guineas & fruit for me (i eat frozen or tinner veg as it is cheaper & i don't waste it!)
    Last edited by nessie216; 24-01-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Miscalculation!

• rosieben
    Mothership, check the link you have for your home page you have sweaterheads and also a link to Flowerhouse guest house? Sweaterheads look great, will read that later
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • helen jelly
    Pennygrabber - love and hugs

Mothership - I like you - going to re-read your post and start the "OTHER PURSE" in Feb when DH gets paid - fantastic idea, thank you, also loving the idea of taking the thread onwards and upwards - what were you thinking off - maybe start a new thread if it compromises this one especially as others put so much hard work into this one - off to check your home page too

Lots going on here - poorly Dad, new boiler going in Weds, all the flooring upstairs coming up to accomodate it in its new place - lots of upheaval [translate as a Headache!!] DS has an ear infection and AF is here - shopping?? no time for that today hehe

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • Mothership
    Pennygrabber - love and hugs

Mothership - I like you - going to re-read your post and start the "OTHER PURSE" in Feb when DH gets paid - fantastic idea, thank you, also loving the idea of taking the thread onwards and upwards - what were you thinking off - maybe start a new thread if it compromises this one especially as others put so much hard work into this one - off to check your home page too

Lots going on here - poorly Dad, new boiler going in Weds, all the flooring upstairs coming up to accomodate it in its new place - lots of upheaval [translate as a Headache!!] DS has an ear infection and AF is here - shopping?? no time for that today hehe

Helen x
    Originally posted by helen jelly
    I wouldn't do anything to compromise this thread in any way, its much too good. I am enjoying sharing with everyone. Its the best part of this whole site.

I'm writing a SURVIVAL book, if I can't find a publisher, I will do what I did with my first two books and publish it myself.
    My girls have been pressing me for years to write down how I do things, it was my youngest that said as she read it "That is a book mum, lots of folk would benefit from this, publish it". So I will one way or another.
    98% of folk have ideas they could do something with but don't, the fear of failure stops them. I guess I'm one of the 2%. I've fell flat on my face thousands of times, but it doesn't stop me getting up and having another go.
    So if there's anyone out there with a good idea, do something with it, If I can help you i will.

I am making marmalade at the moment (my first time), if it works the recipe will go in my book if not I will keep trying until I get it right LOL.
    I usually read the ingredients of a recipe then wing it lol. Had some great adventures doing that.
    My first lemon meringue pie (I was just married 16 yrs old) filled the house with the most delicious aroma, when I opened the oven of my tiny 1 ring baby belling cooker there in the middle of the oven sat the wee baldy pie the meringue was STUCK fast to the roof of the oven (It took me ages cleaning it off) . LOL
    2nd Purse 100
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 24th Jan 11, 12:43 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 9,437 Thanks
    Linda32
    Hello all,

I'm going for 260.00 and will finish after shopping on 28th January

Previous Total 218.84

Aldi 7.57

New Total 226.41
  • helen jelly
    Mothership - hope I didn't come across as being bossy or trying to tell you to suck eggs - not my intention at all, like you I love this thread and all the support, recipes and ideas that people share and there is no way I would want to offend anyone so apologies if I came across "wrong"

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • Mothership
    Mothership - hope I didn't come across as being bossy or trying to tell you to suck eggs - not my intention at all, like you I love this thread and all the support, recipes and ideas that people share and there is no way I would want to offend anyone so apologies if I came across "wrong"

Helen x
    Originally posted by helen jelly
    No offense taken in any way shape or form

I feel its only fair that you all know what I'm doing. This challenge will most likely form a chapter in the book, its too good not to write about, all the effort and work of the folk who maintain it and originated it will have credit where its due.
    2nd Purse 100
    • elly2
    • By elly2 24th Jan 11, 1:36 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 5,227 Thanks
    elly2
    Afternoon all , the grocery purse has 65.00 left in it after spending 3.50 today on some garlic sausage and 8 chicken & veg pies ( will need some pots eggs milk and yet more bread tomorrow) so i am going to take 10 out of purse to cover the cost of them and the rest will go into my savings as my new week starts on weds. I find if i stay away from supermarkets and use my local smaller shops (eg herons) i tend to spend a lot less.

In my drunken state on sat night i promised my mate i would make her some leek and potato soup but have no clue on a recipie (can it be made in the slowcooker?) i normally feed her with pea and ham soup but thought she may like a change.

My dad comes home on thurs and i am unsure as how to work my feb GC as he tends to pick things up for me when he is here normally pots,coffee,sugar milk, soap powder and bread, do i count what he buys in the GC budget (even though i dont pay for it ?) or do i not count it, which will bring my weekly spend down quite a bit.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter