The Great 'Home Exercise' Hunt

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 27 July 2010 at 3:48PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
The Great 'Home Exercise' Hunt

We're looking for MoneySavers to share some home exercise plans for people to get fit on the cheap. From arm-curling tins of beans, bench-pressing your children, or just jogging outside, we'd like your tips.

View past Great Hunts

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Get a bike and cycle to work and to the shops (it's surprising how much you can carry with panniers). The money you save on fuel will easily cover the price of a bike. You might even be able to get your employer to give you an interest-free loan for your bike and avoid the VAT by using cyclescheme (quick before it falls victim to the cuts!).

Cycling is really good exercise and low impact compared to something like jogging. Who knows, you might find that you don't need a car at all - imagine the moneysaving!
  • ethnicbritney
    ethnicbritney Posts: 65 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2010 at 6:12PM
    Get a skipping rope and learn to skip! Wear trainers though as it hurts your feet if you mistime it and land on the rope instead.
    Some places are calling them "jump ropes" instead!!
    It works for sure, have started a new exercise regime-20 minutes a day:
    3 mins cardio
    3x toning exercises
    3 mins cardio
    3x toning exercise
    3 mins cardio
    finishing off with one core session-like The Plank.
    Rem to warm up and cool down to prevent muscle injury.

"The first time I see a jogger smiling I'll consider it."
    Joan Rivers :)
  • ebay!! Just look in your local area for 'pick up only'. Just got sit up bar/ab machine for 99p and mini stepper for 99p and a unused (£100) rowing machine delivered for £15 - instant mini gym - now to start using it.............but I like the sound of skipping rope too.
    :money:
  • I have used a skipping rope but I have been warned that, over years of skipping all those impacts - even with cushion trainers - can damage your joints
  • knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2010 at 6:44AM
    http://www.sparkpeople.com is amazing, dont fork out on weightwatchers online subscriptions, it is all free they have food trackers exercise trackers which show how many calories you burn, a whole porgramme so you put in your weight and goal and it wil work out a programme for you, forms, teams, articles, it is brilliant, i have lost weight using this before, am now using it again after my pregnancy, it is American, but people all over the world use it and their are british spark teams and the food tracker has british foods added, plus you can manually enter british foods and save them for future use.

I also walk everywhere within a 2-3 mile radious, and have follwoed the Couch to 5k programm which is free from cool runnings http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

this guy has made free podcasts http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page6/page6.html to accompany the run which means i can just down load them and follow his prompts, I have never run before and now I am on week 8 of a 9 week programme running 28 mins straight almost 5K

I also collect home exercise dvd's when on sale , and use these plus have collected weights ect from freecycles and use these regularly to strength train, so much cheaper than a gym
  • sarah_2-2
    sarah_2-2 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Thanks Simplyjan- great article. For those who want to read it without searching, here's the link: 27 Ways to get fit for free.
  • Make good use of the Nintendo Wii It's not just for kids use the sports section for a good work out, it's also lots of fun too.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 July 2010 at 6:13PM
    Use the stairs!
    I've got two long flights of stairs in my house - a couple of ground-to-attic climbs a day is as good as the gym stairmaster & free. Good job we chose hardwearing carpet!

I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • dawnylou
    dawnylou Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Buy a cheap exercise mat, skipping rope and timer and check out bodyrock.tv
    Free exercise videos - if you feel you can afford to and would like to you can extra items such as a kettlebell, pull up bar etc to work on some of the more recent workouts.
    I started using this site around Feb time and have lost a stone. It's easy to build into your routine as some workouts are only 15 minutes long!
    And you really work hard so even after only doing a small workout like this the sweat drips off you! lol
    I find it really enjoyable and have stuck at it much longer than i have any other form of exercise. (There is also dietary info posted too)

Good luck to everyone who is taking up some form of exercise though :) x
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53:beer:

• JRRD
    JRRD Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I use online Zumba routines. There are loads to choose from, mainly on You Tube.
    Some are filmed a bit annoyingly(bad sound, jumping camera etc) but if you search long enough you can find plenty easy on the eye with good enough sound.
    There are ones filmed from actual excercise classes. I mainly prefer ones that are filmed with a smaller group performing, face on, so easier to follow.
    Really good excercise and because they are relatively short you can dance for how ever long you want. The thought of an hour class makes me want to go and lie down, but 4 lots of 15 minutes throughout the day would be a whole load easier !

I have put all my links to sites I like, on Word, so that I can easily find them each time I want to dance to them.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport