Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • fern37
    • 17th Mar 10, 12:22 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 12:22 AM
    Love Clarins 'Beauty Flash Balm' but want something cheaper.....read on...

Years ago, I read a review of expensive vs cheap alternative facial products. I used to use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm but couldn't afford the price tag so I was interested to read that Superdrug did something similar but way more cheaper.

It's called NATURALHIGH RADIANCE BALM and it is approx 4. Smells gorgeous and I think it does the same job as the expensive Clarins Flash Balm.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 19-03-2010 at 3:35 PM.
    • Mine's a guinness
    • By Mine's a guinness 17th Mar 10, 7:08 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Mine's a guinness
    • 17th Mar 10, 7:08 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 7:08 AM
    It's on offer online at the moment at 1.95!!! Have just bought two
    • therivierakid
    • By therivierakid 17th Mar 10, 7:25 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    therivierakid
    • 17th Mar 10, 7:25 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 7:25 AM
    King of Shaves Azor with a total of 3 blades is on offer at Superdrug at 2.50, normally you pay at least 1 a blade. I bought 6 last time I was there!
    • mcjj
    • By mcjj 17th Mar 10, 8:46 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    mcjj
    • 17th Mar 10, 8:46 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 8:46 AM
    Love Clarins 'Beauty Flash Balm' but want something cheaper.....read on...

Years ago, I read a review of expensive vs cheap alternative facial products. I used to use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm but couldn't afford the price tag so I was interested to read that Superdrug did something similar but way more cheaper.

It's called NATURALHIGH RADIANCE BALM and it is approx 4. Smells gorgeous and I think it does the same job as the expensive Clarins Flash Balm.

Hope this helps someone.
    Originally posted by fern37
    Thanks for this, where do you buy it?
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 17th Mar 10, 9:00 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    • 17th Mar 10, 9:00 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 9:00 AM
    Simple's face wipes are 2.99 for a pack of 25 and are possibly the best I've ever used - they shift make-up really easily but don't dry your skin out.

Simple also do an excellent range for oily yet sensitive skin (as opposed to most skincare companies which think sensitive always equals dry) which all comes in at less than 5.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 17th Mar 10, 9:05 AM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    • 17th Mar 10, 9:05 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 9:05 AM
    Superdrug Vitamin E range is excellent, all 1/2 price at the moment so less than 2!

Savers sell Nivea facial wipes 2 x25 packs for about 2.99.

M&S do a range of make up for less than 5 an item which is very good.
  • Noggin the Nog
    • 17th Mar 10, 9:09 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 9:09 AM
    This charity blogger recommends here mixing sugar or salt to ordinary facial cleanser to turn it into exfoliating cleanser (which usually costs more); she says that most exfoliating cleansers that you buy have non-biodegradable plastic bits to provide the "grit" that end up in fish so it's doubly a good idea.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 17th Mar 10, 9:13 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 17th Mar 10, 9:13 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 9:13 AM
    vaseline is so cheap and so versatile. A small pot costs just over 1 and lasts me months.

use it as a lipbalm, on it's own, or over or under lipstick.
    use on cheekbones and brow bones for a dewy glow
    use to keep unruly eyebrows in place.
    great for small areas of dry skin
    even works as a great nappy/barrier cream
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 19-03-2010 at 3:37 PM.
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 17th Mar 10, 9:19 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Palmers lipbalm; the normal one is under 2 and the mint chocolate or cherry chocolate ones are 2.49 and are yummy plus work, even on the driest lips like mine. Also Palmers Cocoa Butter is the best body lotion I've found and is again under 5.

Rimmel Hide The Blemish is the best high street brand concealer, and their soft kajal eye kohl is a fantastic eyeliner; both are under 5.

The Johnsons face wipes in the pink packaging are great for dry skin and are about 3.99.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • bebebelle
    • By bebebelle 17th Mar 10, 9:21 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 3,444 Thanks
    bebebelle
    It has to be mememe Poppy cheek tint its about 5.00 and on offer at the moment at superdrug . Its a great dupe for Benefit Posie.

Im gonna love this thread, as I make it my mission to find good cheaper alternatives of higher end products.

Marks and spencers have good well priced make up from about 2.50. Although I dont rate the staying power of some items. Its trial and errror.
    I appreciate Each and Every win. I thank every comp poster from the bottom of my heart
  • antiLorna
    I love clarins flash balm too, i got some as a gift a while ago. I eek it out using normal nivea day creme (about 1 for 50ml), rub a dollop inbetween the palms of my hands and put just a tiny spot of flash balm in my hands and rub again, then massage all over my face and neck. It makes the nivea really silky and still makes my face feel tighter and brighter and it has lasted me for AGES! Try it, honestly it works. Avon skin so soft, age defying body serum does the same job too although im not sure they still do it and i cant remember how much i paid for it, im fairly certain though i wouldnt have paid more than a fiver for it.
    Never leave anywhere empty handed
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 17th Mar 10, 9:31 AM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    The sub 5 is throwing me. I'd say my vit E oil is the single best budget beauty buy I have, it costs almost 9 I think, but I buy one, maybe two bottles a year, yet use it all the time.
  • Queen of NO MATTER WHAT
    The Johnsons face wipes in the pink packaging are great for dry skin and are about 3.99.
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember
    Can often be picked up in pound shop, making them even better value
    *wonders when they will make dressing gowns acceptable day wear?*

No new toiletries challenge - use up the stash first!

NSD Jan 2/15
    • redglass
    • By redglass 17th Mar 10, 9:40 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 8,839 Thanks
    redglass
    I Avon skin so soft, age defying body serum does the same job too although im not sure they still do it and i cant remember how much i paid for it, im fairly certain though i wouldnt have paid more than a fiver for it.
    Originally posted by antiLorna
    You can get Skin So Soft on the Avon website - i bought it when it was on offer, but it's usually more than 5. It does a great job of keeping midges at bay, in fact it's recommended by the Forestry Commission for people who have to work outdoors and get bitten. Oh, and it smells nice too. (I'm a fan, can you tell?)

sugar dampened with oil makes a good skin scrub. I use kitchen oils that have gone stale and don't taste so nice for food.
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• antiLorna
    It probably was on offer! It was in a purple bottle, it actually felt kinda nippy putting it on like it has caffine or something in it. Theres one on ebay item number 250597018535. I live in the west coast of scotland, ie, midge nirvana and as a result i have overloaded on the green skin so soft and it now gives me a migraine when i wear it!
    Never leave anywhere empty handed
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 17th Mar 10, 9:56 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Johnsons Baby oil is great too of course.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • Alwaysachoice
    • By Alwaysachoice 17th Mar 10, 10:02 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Alwaysachoice
    Avon has several products priced at 99p in each catalogue. I think they change the catalogue and the products every 3 weeks.
    Mostly it's bath products and shampoos but occasionally other stuff too.
    Also it's worth stocking up when they sell things at half price (regularly).
    I recommend their teatree shampoo for 99p (don't even need a conditioner afterwards - so silky) and eye shadow palette of 8 colours (which stay on without creasing all day!) for 5. Planet Spa foot and elbow cream at 2 is a bargain and smells of butterscotch.
    • hollystar
    • By hollystar 17th Mar 10, 10:02 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    hollystar
    My dd loves Aldi hairspray,she says it holds her hair well but doesn't feel like concrete! Smells nice too & only about 79p
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 17th Mar 10, 10:02 AM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    A question about skin so soft, I'm just about to order for the first time, for my horses as an insect repellent...I think its the oil I want? nd I'm guessing the sensual scent is less useful as an insect repellent? Does it only come in 150 mls or is there a larger bottle I can't see? I'm guessing I nee a fair few bottles if not.

Its on offer on the website ATM...might be worth it...?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

803Posts Today

5,844Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin