Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE news 'House price crash is over'

Options
Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story, specifically to discuss the views expressed in the article:

"A leading housing market commentator believes prices will rise this year as the market has already reached its bottom.

Today, the Nationwide house price index revealed typical values rose by 1.3% during July. Over the past three months, they are up 2.6%, the highest quarter-year rise since February 2007 ..."

Read the full story:
'House price crash is over'

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• Scabs
    Scabs Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Sales volumes are minimal so a small rises or falls are more exagerated.
    Typical vested interests talking the market up dont really expect to hear anything else from mortgage providers.The few people with cash to invest are investing in bricks in mortar due to little else to invest in with the notion that property always rises. However in my opinion this is a huge bull trap and will soon be full speed crash.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scabs wrote: »
    Sales volumes are minimal so a small rises or falls are more exagerated.
    Typical vested interests talking the market up dont really expect to hear anything else from mortgage providers.The few people with cash to invest are investing in bricks in mortar due to little else to invest in with the notion that property always rises. However in my opinion this is a huge bull trap and will soon be full speed crash.
    What he said.
  • bingibongi
    bingibongi Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Hurrah - its all back to normal then. Boom times here we come!!

Clearly the Nationwide dont believe the continuing rise in unemployment, weakness in the economy and general public concern about debt will restrain the housing market.
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    A quick look at the Nationwide website shows their products are 85% LTV for new borrowers. (Good thing)

Surely if they believe their own press office they would now be selling 100% mortgages as of this morning?
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First rise in prices detected after a long time =

HOUSE PRICE CRASH IS OVER, PRICES CAN ONLY NOW RISE AND RISE FOR EVERMORE!
  • Thermidor
    Thermidor Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    House prices bottomed out end of last year. Then they stabilised (as predicted) and are now back on the up (as predicted).

The crash never really happend - just few overprived properties were corrected. That's all.
  • Bean_69_99
    Bean_69_99 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    i wonder if the nationwide COULD also produce statistics saying that there are also indications that things are getting worse and houses are erady to go again with the same validity...

if it paid for them to do so obviously.:think:
  • bigfatbelly
    bigfatbelly Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Everyone knew house prices were set to rise again and a lot of people very correctly predicted they'd start rising in the summer of 2009. Spot on!
  • JayZed
    JayZed Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    Surely this thread is on the wrong board? The house price nutters are over on the "Discuss house prices" board.
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When mortgage lending goes back to 3.5 times the salary or 3 times the main plus the lowest and people can afford to buy a house at maximum lending of 95% LTV, then I will believe the crash / correction is over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure