Options

Comments

• alenax
    alenax Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    urg123 wrote: »
    Looks like we crossed posts.

my initial thoughts are:

1) £200 per month on clothes seems like an awful lot.
    2) you have £700 per month to pay off you debt - is this really what you end up with every month? Try keeping a spending diary and write down every single penny that you spend.
    3) you have £1000 in cash/savings. Can you use this to help with the debts
    4) the general rule of thumb is to pay back the ones with the highest interest asap.

Also, what have you got that you can sell - books on Amazon. OTher stuff on ebay. It can all help to pay off the debts.

Hope this helps

urg x x

Thank you, very helpful post. 200 is a lot but that's approximately how much I've been spending so far, should really cut down though.

My initial plan is to put all my money into paying off the debts, live off the bare essentials and buy myself one 'treat' with every paycheck, e.g. a DVD (big CSI fan here ;) ) or a pair of shoes. The problem is, I'm a self-confessed shopaholic and that's how I got into trouble in the first place...
  • yorkshire-lad
    Options
    alenax wrote: »
    Thank you, very helpful post. 200 is a lot but that's approximately how much I've been spending so far, should really cut down though.

My initial plan is to put all my money into paying off the debts, live off the bare essentials and buy myself one 'treat' with every paycheck, e.g. a DVD (big CSI fan here ;) ) or a pair of shoes. The problem is, I'm a self-confessed shopaholic and that's how I got into trouble in the first place...

everytime you go out and you see something you like, just think about how your feeling at the moment.
    i think one treat a month is a good way, it gives you something to look forward to and also see it as a reward for your hardwork in paying off your debts:)
    Old Account Recovered
    Debt at LMB April 2009= £14,980
    Debt free Sometime in November 2013
    £69k left of 90k Mortgage - Overpaying by £270 a month
    Current Savings = £13000
    MSE turned my life around years ago
  • pebblespop
    pebblespop Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Options
    if you use the £1000 to pay off the store card and one credit card you will have £3250 to pay off.

this can be done within four months if you throw the £700 + £200 clothing amount at the debts each month.

i wouldn't bother with the consolidation as you may end up spending on the cards again and have the consolidation loan and the credit cards to pay off.
  • urg123
    urg123 Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like you are an ideal challenger for the 100 day challenge. The '100 day challenge Take 3' is for anyone who wants to stop spending on a particular thing. Why don't you sign up - we're only a few days in.

Joining challenges does help you going and keep you motivated. There are lots:
    £100 clothing challenge - you can only spend £100 over the year!
    No Spend Day (NSD) Challenge - Aim for a certain number of NSDs every month.

They all help to get you out of your spending ways!

urg x x
  • alenax
    Options
    pebblespop wrote: »
    if you use the £1000 to pay off the store card and one credit card you will have £3250 to pay off.

this can be done within four months if you throw the £700 + £200 clothing amount at the debts each month.

i wouldn't bother with the consolidation as you may end up spending on the cards again and have the consolidation loan and the credit cards to pay off.

I think I put that in wrong, the £1000 I thought meant the wages. Oops!

If I did get consolidation then I would cut up my credit cards and request the banks to cancel my overdrafts, my only worry is that I suspect the APR on these loans is massive and also my credit rating; I'm planning on buying a new laptop soon as my old one is knackered and I work from home and so need it to carry on earning.
  • pebblespop
    pebblespop Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Options
    I think I put that in wrong, the £1000 I thought meant the wages. Oops!

If I did get consolidation then I would cut up my credit cards and request the banks to cancel my overdrafts, my only worry is that I suspect the APR on these loans is massive and also my credit rating; I'm planning on buying a new laptop soon as my old one is knackered and I work from home and so need it to carry on earning.

even without the £1000 in cash, if you cut back on the clothing and put the £700 towards your debts each month it will take 5 months to pay off the £4250 (even quicker if you sell stuff on ebay or join in the make £10 a month/payment a day challenge).

you say you need new a laptop - will you be buying this on credit?? can you not save up for this each month (perhaps take 6/7 months to pay off the debts)
  • alenax
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies everyone. So in conclusion, it's better off to pay everything separately?
  • Penny2myName
    Penny2myName Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies everyone. So in conclusion, it's better off to pay everything separately?

Correct, and there is nothing stopping you from cutting up your credit cards now. Once cut up you cant keep using them. I cut mine up on cam in front of my best friend, and I think she went more pale than I, then I sealed it into an envelope and have given that envelope to my mum to look after till my balance becomes £0.00, that way i cant play at zigsaws so as to use it online.
    19th March 2007 LBM£5,969.63 1st January 2018 £5960.18, 1st January 2019 £11,032.0018th August 2023 £12,435.00, Student Loan £22244.00 From 2009-12Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
  • fairydiamond
    Options
    Good Luck. It is good that you've realised the spending needs to stop!
    My Wins: £150 Next giftcard. Rimmel Lip Gloss, Benefit Lipstick and lipgloss. Rimmel Day2Night mascara. Elizabeth Arden Body Treatment Cream. Big Bang Theory T-shirt, Make Up Set, St Tropez Kit, Clipper Mug Tea Set, Rosie Project Book, Kwik Fit MOT. Benefit Make Up Set Dior Star Foundation. VIP Concert Tickets & Meet & Greet with The Saturdays
  • retrocircles
    Options
    I might be dumb, but I can't see the problem here? Are you considering consolidation just because you don't like seeing your accounts in the red?!

Just stop spending, any cash you have pay off debt, and pay as much as you can every month!

Sorted!
    Debt @ LBM 29/12/08 - £49044! Now £44684.
    Fat loss 29/85lbs // £100 into £10k £243.07/£10k
    HSBC Loan 9658 // HSBC CC 3484 // HSBC CC 1464 // DP's 779 // Car 0% 4851 // Halifax OD 1348 // HSBC OD 1.5k // HSBC OD 1k // Barclays OD 400 // IOMOM 4400 // S Loan 15k // Cap1 £800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure