edited 15 June 2010 at 11:29AM in Mortgages & endowments

This is the discussion area for the

Former MSE team member

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good article. Cant find any flaws on first read.

I dont know if its worth adding though that you can get standalone unemployment only cover (useful for those with good sick pay) and that there is also permanent health insurance which is proper income protection for the long term and underwritten at point of sale and not point of claim like PPIs. A brief mention of those would be useful as for many people they are the better options. (PHI and standalone "U").

edit: I spotted a few references to "ASU" in the article. The product stopped being called ASU a while back and is no longer recognised by the FSA as that. It may be worth removing the ASUs and replacing them with MPPI to keep the article consistent.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    good to see "advice" is recommended

first "bestbuy " is a provider who have taken down website pending product changes
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • payless
    Options
    worth mentioning that 2 of the listed best buys are the same provider and that not all insurers that undrwrite the policies ( including at least one of the best buys ) are Uk based?
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Blackers1100
    Options
    I took out a policy with Payment shield (Norwich Union)last October and have just received notification that as from 1/3/09 my premium would be increased by 50% and that an additional admin fee of £3/month would be added from month 13 of the policy!!

Can they change the premium mid policy? Or because I pay monthly the policy is monthly and not annually.
  • payless
    Options
  • saineegan
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the forum and hope I'm posting under the right section- where can I find out more about Permanent Health Insurance from ? and is this better than an income protection policy as I want to cover accident , illness and unemployment as cheaply and efficiently as possible but without compromising quality. Currently I have a decreasing term mortgage protection policy with CIC , taken out 2 years ago when I bought the house, but this only covers the mortgage.

After reading the articles under the insurance and mortgage sections I'm confused and unclear what is best and am beginning to think perhaps my policy is not the best cover for me after all as I am married and want something that covers the mortgage as well as other necessary expenses in case of death or due to any illness not just critical illness which may prevent me from working, as well as due to accident and unemployment.

From the articles I understand that level term insurance may be more efficient than my policy if I was to die (god forbid), but when I go to the online sellers such as cavendish, they ask if you want the benefit to increase in line with inflation. Am I right in thinking for Level term insurance I say no here? Also what is family income benefit as this also comes up as an option ?

Any help much appreciated
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    where can I find out more about Permanent Health Insurance from ?

PHI has historically been a product that had offerings under investment class regulationa and protection regulation. It is also generally a low commission product (so not much scope for discounting) and many of the providers still require paper quotes and paper applications. Plus, there is no standard with PHI. Each provider offers different levels and often different versions (worth thinking budget, standard and comprehensive). Its not really a product that is geared for the DIY internet market. This is why the lower cost, simpler (but inferior) payment protections are more common on the internet.
    is this better than an income protection policy

For accident and sickness, a PHI is far superior unless you buy a budget version. the budget ones tend to be similar to PPI withour unemployment.
    want something that covers the mortgage as well as other necessary expenses in case of death or due to any illness not just critical illness which may prevent me from working, as well as due to accident and unemployment.

Trying to get that all in one will mean compromises. Either in price or in cover. Segmenting your needs is often better although in some areas you can have one provider for multiple "segments".
    From the articles I understand that level term insurance may be more efficient than my policy if I was to die (god forbid

Or family income benefit or whole of life assurance (although the article doesnt even mention those).
    but when I go to the online sellers such as cavendish, they ask if you want the benefit to increase in line with inflation.

If you have an increasing need then you select it. If you dont then you dont.
    Am I right in thinking for Level term insurance I say no here?

Obviously Level term is not for a mortgage. So, if you looking for family protection you may or may not need increasing. Or you may need or prefer a family income benefit or a combination.
    Also what is family income benefit as this also comes up as an option ?

Instead of paying a lump sum, it pays a monthly income. Generically, it should be cheaper than level term assurance to cover income replacement needs.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • frangi82
    Options
    I was looking at http://www.justclick4cover.com/ as Martin suggested but am increasingly confused about my eligibility / allowance limit when a mortgage is joint.

I have a joint mortgage (both named) with a partner which happens to comes out of his account.

1. As it is joint, despite the payment not coming from my bank account, am i eligible for mortgage protection insurance?
    2. Am i only able to apply for half of the value of the monthly payments as it is joint or can i apply for the full amount (or 75% of my earnings in the case of justclickforcover)?

I would really appreciate some further understanding as to how policies generally apply in the instance for joint mortgages. Eg: if my partner decided to opt for insurance, could he also apply for the full amount (or 75% of earnings) as well as me?

I appreciate that i should see an IFA but i am keen to go with a budget end provider without too great a cost. I know any response is general and not specific advice for me.

Thanks in advance
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    Quote: i am keen to go with a budget end provider

How much is yr car worth & what does the insurance cost for that?

Do you have yr mobile fone insured? If so how much does it cost?

Sometimes this site place's too much emphasis on "cheapness", then people become confused & think they shoud be paying next to nothing for products, it's not so long ago people were being discouraged from this type of protection.......
  • Anats
    Options
    I already have a policy with Norwich Union, its been on risk for over 8years now and has a 24month payout (hope I dont need that!!)

However, im not sure im fully covered now, and dont want to interfere with that policy - just keep it going.

Am I able to take a 2nd policy with a different provider as a top up safeguard?

Will doing so (having 2 policies) affect any payment I may receive from either policy?

Last, if my main fulltime job ends through redundancy (I have had no sign of that at present) but my very small, part time other job that I do on some evenings and some weekends still continues, do I invalidate any such claim?

Please help if you can!

Ta
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family