'How close to the brink are you?' 2009 poll results/discussion

Options
Poll between 26 Jan-3 Feb 2009:

How close to the brink are you?

Three months ago we first did this poll... then recession was on its way. Now it’s here. Have things changed?

On a scale of nought to nine, how near the financial edge are you?

Which of these is nearest your situation?

[FONT=&quot]0[FONT=&quot] No problem. No matter what. - [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]6% (811 votes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1[FONT=&quot] It’d need to be extreme before we felt it. -[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] 12% (1719 votes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2[FONT=&quot] Mostly fine, even through recession[/FONT]. - [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]20% (2909 votes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3[FONT=&quot] A few minor tweaks should see us through. - [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]13% (1965 votes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4[FONT=&quot] Will ride it out, if we tighten our belts. - [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]15% (2174 votes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5[FONT=&quot] It’ll be tough, but we should survive. - [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]15% (2219 votes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6[FONT=&quot] It’ll be a real struggle, even if we take all precautions. - [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]8% (1218 votes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7[FONT=&quot] It’s fifty-fifty if we’ll make it. - [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]6% (815 votes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8[FONT=&quot] It’s very likely we’ll go under. - [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]3% (440 votes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9[FONT=&quot] My finances are irreparable (looking at repossession/bankruptcy). - [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]3% (416 votes)[/FONT]

this vote has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A little unfair of me but to answer the question from my point of view I'm grateful for the first time ever that I'm now a senior citizen. I have a (hopefully) guaranteed pension and my home is secure. I've been through recessons wihout the advantage of MSE so I think/hope it will be just a little easier for todays working people if they follow the guidelines here. I'm not saying it will be easy because it won't but sites like MSE are a Godsend at the best of times, even more so now. it's an 'I can't, we can' situation.

My good wishes to everyone who is or will be suffering the effects of this time.
  • spendingmad
    Options
    I would rate our situation as a 3

My DH works for the NHS and I am self employed but my wage is pretty secure too.

This is the first recession I have experience of and I am using it to tighten our belts. For me it is good motivation to reduce our outgoings and pay off this debt!
  • MsQContrary
    Options
    I rated myself as a 1 on the grounds that things would have to be extreme for the government to take my research funding away after they've guaranteed it for three years. But then extreme things are happening, it's scary.
  • Saucepot
    Saucepot Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    Options
    Still 0, No problem, no matter what

But I do get an occasional twang of upper class guilt whenever I crack open another bottle of cristal.

It quickly goes, though.
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • teddyco
    teddyco Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the United States, President Obama is proposing a multi-billion tax reduction package to kick start the economy.
    Under this plan, each family will get a tax rebate in the post for $1000.00 and each individual taxpayer
    will get $500.00.

President Bush did the same thing in 2001 after 9/11 and the economy took off!

IS GORDON BROWN LISTENING? If you want to jump-start the economy, give people back their taxes to spend
    on food, savings, whatever!
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    7 for us, one wage is secure but it's not enough to pay the mortgage, bills and eat. So we're dependant on self employment, however, we're secure for a few months so maybe I'm being pessimistic.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    "0" for me, no problem whatsoever. No debts at all, no mortgage etc. Made more than adequate provision for the rainy days while the sun was shining.
  • carolpinkdreamer
    Options
    6 possibly 7. I'm having sleepless nights already.
  • fc123
    fc123 Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    Options
    Last time I went for 5.

Today I have gone for 7.

We have run a fully liable business for 22 years.

We have personal guarantees on a 20 yr lease and have traded in that prtemises for nearly 11 years. It is a well known area and boutiques like ours got it back on it's feet after the 90's slowdown...then the Costa's and Starbucks arrived plus the chains.....and up went the rents.....and many interesting Indies left to be replaced with chains....which kept pushing up the rents......

Consequently, we are under rent review and our Big Glass Tower LL wants to increase our rent buy 40%......except, the past 14 months has seen our T/O drop by 40%. They don't care about the local area, they are just using us to push up the rents for my chain store neighbours.
    We operate on far smaller margins than chains....so cannot pay as high overheads

Our shop now uses up 90 man hours per week (me and OH) and earns zero profit and zero salary for our labour and time. It's soul destroyong.
    Worse, our regular customers (and visitors) love it...afterall, we still have 60% T/O coming in.....but the other 40% thats been crunched renders us unviable.

Last summer, we started supplying a big E-Tailer with my own label clothing (I drone on about it on Economics board)...sales are sky high....so we currently earn our living expenses from that....but it could go tomorrow; fashion is fickle.

I want to throw the shop keys in the sea and concentrate on developing the other venture (I have had to turn down 2 new really fab opps due to a lack of time...I can only do so much in 7 days) but, our LL would bankrupt us and we own a house.

Going bankrupt isn't in my Life Plan...esp as we don't have mountains of debts anymore

We are trying to re-assign the lease....supposedly in the St paved with Landlord gold....the St that is immune from the downturn according to their surveyor......so far? Zero interest.
    Loads of other shops have just, this week, come onto the market too.

The last rent review was a nightmare and put us into debt...and we nearly paid it all off too over the past 3 years....what a shame, we could go down due to the greed of a fatcat , in denial property unit trust based in Mayfair, London who view us as insignificant, numbers on a chart

Rant Over.
  • lucielou5
    Options
    We are about a 5.

Just started a DMP and are reclaiming charges and the like.

Only one wage at the moment but we have overhauled everything (utilities, housekeeping etc).

LO starting nursery p/t next week so the option to earn a little bit more could be there.

A lot luckier than some so we can't grumble.
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debt
    January 2016 - £12,326
    Grocery Challenge - £150

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills