Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    'Christmas vs. Summer Holiday' poll results/discussion
    • 9th Dec 08, 9:27 AM
    'Christmas vs. Summer Holiday' poll results/discussion 9th Dec 08 at 9:27 AM
    Poll between 09-15 Dec 08:

Which would you cut firstÖ Christmas or Summer Holiday?

The average UK family is said to spend £600 on Christmas, and not that much more on a holiday. So in tight times, which would you give up spending money on first?

Note: If you are of a different religion, please substitute your nearest equivalent celebration e.g. Hanukah, Eid, Diwali for Christmas in the answer below.

Which of these is closest to your answer?

A. Iíd give up Christmas. 44% (3669 votes)
    B. Iíd give up (summer) holiday. 41% (3445 votes)
    C. I donít do Christmas anyway. 4% (343 votes)
    D. I donít do holiday anyway. 8% (665 votes)
    E. I donít do either. 3% (265 votes)

This vote has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 15-12-2008 at 2:30 PM.
Page 1
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 9th Dec 08, 9:30 AM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 130,226 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 9th Dec 08, 9:30 AM
    • 9th Dec 08, 9:30 AM
    Aggggggg Lawrence

I only have a holiday at Christmas time, I work all year, and where I go doesn't as such 'do' Christmas, as mainly they are Buddists, however the children all seem to know about Christmas.

So my spending is very low, on both hols and Christmas dinner / presents.
    Sun, Sea

• kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 9th Dec 08, 9:31 AM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 130,226 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 9th Dec 08, 9:31 AM
    • 9th Dec 08, 9:31 AM
    Lawrence

Your link is taking me to a mortage vote!!

Ok it has corrected itself!!

(too much Christmas spirit if you ask me!!)
    Last edited by kazwookie; 09-12-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    Sun, Sea

• freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 9th Dec 08, 11:23 AM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,923 Thanks
    freyasmum
    • 9th Dec 08, 11:23 AM
    • 9th Dec 08, 11:23 AM
    I'd give up summer spending long before I'd give up Christmas - it's a magical time, especially for those with kids

I love Christmas and with all the codes and offers available, there is no need to spend that much - and children don't need lots of money spent on them for it to feel special anyway, IMO.
  • sodamnfunky
    • 9th Dec 08, 12:59 PM
    • 9th Dec 08, 12:59 PM
    I wouldnt give up either. I love my holidays too much.

Its all about being good with money and budgeting.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 9th Dec 08, 4:33 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 21,562 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 9th Dec 08, 4:33 PM
    • 9th Dec 08, 4:33 PM
    I wouldnt give up either. I love my holidays too much.

Its all about being good with money and budgeting.
    Originally posted by sodamnfunky
    My answer as well, If you budget you can afford both. Thats what we do. And as said before you have 12 months notice of Christmas.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 9th Dec 08, 4:35 PM
    • 10,951 Posts
    • 24,190 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 9th Dec 08, 4:35 PM
    • 9th Dec 08, 4:35 PM
    I like both as it's good to get away (but I don't tend to go away in peak months) and it's good to spend time with family at Christmas.
    • mariajose
    • By mariajose 9th Dec 08, 4:53 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    mariajose
    • 9th Dec 08, 4:53 PM
    • 9th Dec 08, 4:53 PM
    B, I guess.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 9th Dec 08, 6:57 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 9th Dec 08, 6:57 PM
    • 9th Dec 08, 6:57 PM
    Saying "i'd budget" is cheating

The aim is to make you choose which is your spending priority...
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Stinkybell
    • By Stinkybell 9th Dec 08, 7:58 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Stinkybell
    Oh dear - I'd cut down on a Summer Holiday, but OH says Christmas would be the first to go. The presents under my tree look somewhat less exciting now!
    Chipping away at the mortgage...
    2013:£419k @ 3.14%
    2016:£385k @ 1.79%
    2019:£275k @ 1.84%
    2024: ??
    • basil92
    • By basil92 9th Dec 08, 8:13 PM
    • 10,816 Posts
    • 28,160 Thanks
    basil92
    No contest....I'd give up Christmas

I need to get some proper sunshine at least once a year
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 9th Dec 08, 11:50 PM
    • 11,689 Posts
    • 11,569 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    I'd give up summer spending long before I'd give up Christmas - it's a magical time, especially for those with kids

I love Christmas and with all the codes and offers available, there is no need to spend that much - and children don't need lots of money spent on them for it to feel special anyway, IMO.
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    I agree FM

It's a no-brainer for me coz I've not got enough money to pay for a holiday anyway and I've not bought presents for Xmas (or birthdays) for any adults including my brother, my parents & in-laws for the last couple of years either but they don't mind coz I was generous when I had money

I only plan to spend £50/60 on each of my 2 kids & about £20/25 on my only nephew and Xmas dinner will be as low cost as possible too

I'm lucky that my parents have paid for a week in a cottage/caravan every year until my dd started school in January this year so we couldn't go in June/September when it's still warm-ish and cheaper...

Also my OH's parents live in Mablethorpe so we can take the kids to the "seaside" there and we can do lots of other activities to make the school summer holidays special as well

My 5yo dd went on and on about wanting to go on a plane this year and I do want to take them sometime but ONLY when I can afford to
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
    • Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 10th Dec 08, 6:24 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    Don't have holidays so it's not a hard choice for me!
    • essexgal
    • By essexgal 10th Dec 08, 7:17 AM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 16,456 Thanks
    essexgal
    There's no way we spend £600 on our summer holiday (we usually stay with friends..... ) - and if push came to shove we do have a tent which we could pitch in the back garden.....assuming we have one week of reasonable weather....:rolleyes: + tesco clubcard deals, etc for cheap days out - we could have just as good a summer holiday at home for next to nothing.

Am doing Christmas far more cheaply this year as well - mainly because I've won various things throughout the year, and make homemade gifts/cards, and don't buy to feed half the street - just what we need (not what the advertisers tell us we want.... )

Am afraid I am becoming more and more anti-consumerist and cynical in my (not-so-old age)

essexgal
    old enough to know better, young enough not to care
  • teddyco
    What about Christmas in Florida? Holiday plus Christmas, problem solved! Also, no fighting over who cooks Christmas dinner this year?
  • BigMikeyG
    I would give up christmas but the mrs. said we had to give up holiday if we had to do one. But we're very lucky not to be in that situation and hopefully won't be *touches wood*. End of the day you could buy a joint present for each other whihc was a holiday for the coming year, therefore you both get a present and a holiday. :-)
    Date I decided to clear my debt: 03/12/08
    Debt started with: Loan - 2195, Credit Card - 1738, Interest free overdraft -500 = TOTAL - 4433
    Current Debt: Loan - 0, Credit Card 1 - 1346, Credit Card 2 - 906 Interest free overdraft -0 = TOTAL - 2252
  • harryhound
    The reality is that I would cut back on both.
    If push really did come to shove, I would WORK through the summer holiday as that is usually 2 - 3 weeks and costs more than Xmas.
    The opportunity cost of a 3 week summer holiday is not just the money spent on the holiday but also the money not earned during those three weeks.
    For those with an employer, who is forced by law to give you a month's holiday, you have a better chance of earning on your own account in the summer (or possibly in the run up to Xmas).
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 10th Dec 08, 12:50 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    we don't "do" summer holiday - I've never really had one as my parents where short on money when I was growing up, I've never understood how you can justify spending so much money to go abroad to get drunk and sunburnt :confused: doesn't appeal to me at all! that said we do enjoy a spot of skiing but we only go every few years as the in laws pay half as we'd never afford it otherwise! so when money's tight its the skiing that would go, but I wouldn't really miss it, I've got family in yorkshire and tyneside who we can visit for a change in the summer, much cheaper and no worrying about getting a dodgy tummy from the water!
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    I think Sami is right, as always!
    Originally posted by 3onitsway
  • chrissyxx
    Sadly, we havent had a holiday for 7 years, (I dream of smelling the ocean and sand between my toes again !) but I think Christmas is for children, and they'd always come first, so I'd give up holidays for sure
    • blued
    • By blued 10th Dec 08, 1:33 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    blued
    I'd give up Christmas, mainly because I have no kids. To me, Christmas is about spending time with friends and family, some good food and too much drink! You can do all this for a LOT less than £600! I'd rather have a summer holiday somewhere abroad.

I dont think there's any need fo adults to give and receive presents each year and so many people get into debt because of this. Save the gifts for the children who appreciate it the most!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,064Posts Today

5,835Users online

Martin's Twitter