Courses on income support

Options
I'm asking this on behalf of two friends:

Suppose you are laid off work temporarily and you are either a single parent claiming income support for the few months that you are laid off, or you are married and just signing on to get your stamp paid. If you decide to do a course, do you have to pay for it or do you get it free? If it's free, do you have to start paying when you go back to work if you haven't finished the course? Would the job centre put you on a Learn Direct course? And can you start any time of year, or does it have to be September?

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Surely in those circumstances you'd be claiming JSA? They're only free for those on New Deal although there's concessions available but it varies from college to college.
  • Got2change
    Options
    Concessions available at enrolment are usually -
    For those on Income Support or Income Based JSA or Housing Benefit or with a low income £15,500 (?) and receiving Working Tax Credit.
    If concessions are granted at start of course, they will stay in place for it's duration even if circumstances change - BUT -
    If receiving JSA, the expectation is to look for and get work so you/they have to prepared to juggle or give up should they get a job.
    Colleges - not all but best to check as I think most do - offer concessions if doing a Level 2 course with no other level 2 qualifications (5 GCSEs or equivalent) or the same for level 3 (2 A Levels).
    Blonde: Unemployed: Bankrupt.
    What do I know?
    :confused:
  • Coz
    Coz Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    Surely in those circumstances you'd be claiming JSA? They're only free for those on New Deal although there's concessions available but it varies from college to college.

No, she is a single parent, so she claims income support when she gets laid off, not JSA. The other one can't get anything only her stamp paid, as she is married.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Coz wrote: »
    No, she is a single parent, so she claims income support when she gets laid off, not JSA. The other one can't get anything only her stamp paid, as she is married.

How old is the single parent's child?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Coz
    Options
    Got2change wrote: »
    Concessions available at enrolment are usually -
    For those on Income Support or Income Based JSA or Housing Benefit or with a low income £15,500 (?) and receiving Working Tax Credit.
    If concessions are granted at start of course, they will stay in place for it's duration even if circumstances change - BUT -
    If receiving JSA, the expectation is to look for and get work so you/they have to prepared to juggle or give up should they get a job.
    Colleges - not all but best to check as I think most do - offer concessions if doing a Level 2 course with no other level 2 qualifications (5 GCSEs or equivalent) or the same for level 3 (2 A Levels).

What do you mean by consessions? You still have to pay so much?
  • Coz
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    How old is the single parent's child?

He is age 9.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Got2change wrote: »
    If concessions are granted at start of course, they will stay in place for it's duration even if circumstances change -

Not necessarily; many colleges expect you to notify them if you come off means tested benefits and then charge you pro rata.
  • Got2change
    Options
    Not necessarily; many colleges expect you to notify them if you come off means tested benefits and then charge you pro rata.

Really? I didn't know that....
    Maybe the OP could get concession on no level 2/3 eligibility but I won't assume.
    What do I know?
  • Got2change
    Options
    Coz wrote: »
    What do you mean by consessions? You still have to pay so much?

I am trying to avoid using the word free but what may happen is that course fees are waived but student may have to pay for exams or registration; such a lot depends on the circumstances.....
    (I was lucky enough to get the course fees waived/paid for by the college and had to pay £25 altogether and am not sure what that was for as the exam costs and registration with AAT was also covered.)

Before anyone points out to me that you can't be in AAT and bankrupt, I am now off the course anyway.
    What do I know?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills