chutney recipes

Options
Hi everyone, I have decided to make chutney/preserves for family members who I'm not buying gifts for and I would like some recipes eg: mixed pickle etc. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

If you post this on the OLD STYLE board you will get heaps of help from the lovely folk on there
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • gooismeid
    gooismeid Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    ..but just a quick one from me - try Nigella's Christmas chutney recipe. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/christmaschutney_84678.shtml

It looks lovely when it's in the jar and it tastes great, too. I've even used it as a basis for other chutneys where you just use a similar quantity of fruit and onion (fave was apple pear and tomato) with the same quantity of vinegar and spices. Yay Nigella - she can cook and she makes me look thin!
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i've made a number of these things myself for presents..

pickled onions (i used Oded Schwartz's (see below) but you could use the one on the link), delia's christmas chutney (which is gorgeous), bread and butter pickles, onion marmalade (you'll need to scroll down a bit for the recipe for that one), chilli jam (which came from Oded Schwartz's "Preserving" book - get it from the library, i really do recommend it for anything to do with preserves. You won't be able to buy it - its out of print and retailing second hand on ebay at around £35!!).

I've also made damson jam, golden plum jam, red plum and cinnamon jam (all from Oded Schwartz, or you could use this post from MSE), crab apple and chilli jelly, strawberry preserve, limoncello, sloe gin, damson gin (as for sloe gin but with damsons instead), chilli vodka (chillis in vodka, leave to infuse, tasting regularly according to how hot you like the things - i put 3 scotch bonnets in one bottle, left for 3 weeks, and its inedible to all but my chilli-loving OH), toblerone vodka and aftereight vodka. Will be making up food hampers with some bought stuff (like crackers and cheese and port).

hope they help!!

keth
    xx
  • yorksbabe
    yorksbabe Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the help especially you kethry!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure