Computer/DVD Hamper

Options
My grandfather is the hardest person to buy for, he's not exactly 'grateful', Last year my brother bought him a freeview box as he'd been moaning about only having the normal channels and he's done nothing but moan about it since! I bought him a personalised hipflask with a couple of miniatures amongst other stuff and by the end of boxing day he'd broken the hipflask (having sank the miniatures the second after opening them :rolleyes:) We put it down to him being a different generation but that's a whole other rant.

I'm thinking of putting together a computer or dvd night hamper but I've no idea what to put in them.

Computer:
He likes to think himself somewhat of a computer expert, but he constantly needs 'refresher courses' etc as he forgets about what he's learnt, despite doing constant classes. He gets terminology messed up and explains things in a really difficult way using the wrong words so ends up confusing people. But yes. He likes his computers so it's one thing to do a hamper for.

DVD Night:
He likes old war films and westerns, but he's not the type to make hot chocolate and sit down and watch one, he'd sit with a cup of tea and do it, but yeah. Teabags aren't really a present and he has loads of them... I've just got no idea what else could go in it.

Any suggestions are welcome, :D Thank you for your help!

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello, Smickan!

I've seen a book in Maplins (the electrical/computer parts store) called something like "Computing for the Older Generation" which might be quite a good reference book for helping your grandad do stuff (and not as insulting a title as "Computing for Dummies"!!)

You could also put in things like a pack of screenwipes, one of those mini keyboard vacuum cleaners, some CD-RW disks, and maybe a pack of empty jewel cases - I've seen a pack of 10 of those at poundland recently.
  • C_J
    Options
    .... and maybe for the Western DVD pack, you could get a book or two? Maybe something like an autobiography for John Wayne (there's bound to be one!). Or stuff to do with the old TV programme Bonanza!

You could get a kid's cowboy hat to use as the hamper!
  • Smickan
    Smickan Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh, those are fantastic ideas! Thank you so much :) The cowboy hat would be a lovely touch too!
  • saverspud
    Options
    Not sure if he'd find it amusing...but you can pick up metal sheriffs badges quite cheap on ebay. Got one as a secret santa type gift last year and it went down a storm! I'd also think about some Milky Bars...but that's my sense of humour, I'm afraid!

Would a cheap MP3 player - one of the SD card reader types - be a good gift? My OHs 83 yo grandmother got herself one recently, and can't get over how she can carry her music everywhere on something so tiny. You can pick ok ones up for under a tenner at places like ebuyer, although the earphones are usually pretty rubbish and you'd need to get a cheap SD card too. Might be an expensive option, but thought I'd suggest it!
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/100745

S
  • shaz77_2
    shaz77_2 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    .... and maybe for the Western DVD pack, you could get a book or two? Maybe something like an autobiography for John Wayne (there's bound to be one!). Or stuff to do with the old TV programme Bonanza!

You could get a kid's cowboy hat to use as the hamper!

Tons of books on the Duke but no autobiography I'm afraid, 'Duke the life and times of John Wayne' is excellent but some parts do not make easy reading especially Dukes tough battle with cancer.
  • Redbedhead
    Redbedhead Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if this is overbudget or would fit in ok, but what about a universal remote control? Then he can control the tv and dvd in one?

What about some slippers to wear when he puts his feet up to watch the tv?

A years subscription to the TV guide?

Last year I found loads of special offers on older DVDs so you could get a few of the old films together?

Some nice biscuits to go with his cup of tea when he is watching the dvd?
    MFIT No. 81
  • C_J
    Options
    Poundland in Cheltenham had some universal remote controls (for a quid, obv) yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure