PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Another use for slow cookers

Yesterday I put some hot water in the slow cooker along with some mixed spices and left it on low all day. It smelt lovely - my alternative to a plug in air freshener and it must be healthier too. I'm going to try it with cut lemons and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Comments

• mrsmab59
    mrsmab59 Posts: 166 Forumite
    That sounds like a lovely idea...but wouldn't it be an expensive way to freshen a room? Does anyone know how much it costs to keep a slow cooker on for a few hours?
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
  • Well according to the slow cooker thread it costs the same as a light bulb when it is on low so not much and definitely worth it, my kitchen smelt lovely!
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    To help freshen the air I sometimes balance a jam jar quarter full of water and some essential oil on a radiator - this smells lovely. It might be a bit of a hazard with kids around, unless you can find some sort of long flattish container to use. Oh and obviously doesn't work if the heating isn't on, so probably better for the winter months. I like the slow cooker idea though, I think I will give that a whirl when the heating is off for the summer.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ..........another use is to use it to make mulled wine or cider. :beer: They smell lovely too ;)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How about home made lemonade - then you get the fragrance and something consumable.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to put the kidz white sports socks and Mrs MATH's muslin cloths which she removes her make-up with in a slo-cooker filled with water and a good cup of bio powder. Let it come up to temp and leave overnight and rinse in the morning. It got the whites white that my washer couldn't cope with.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • I was thinking of doing lemonade Elona - would you just put some sugar in with the lemon and water?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There used to be a thread on home made lemonade but I can't find it - basically juice and zest of lemons - sugar and water.:j
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • sarah1
    sarah1 Posts: 185 Forumite
    elona,
    Hi how do you make mulled mine ?? :confused:
    I love the stuff . Mmmmm :beer:
  • m00nie
    m00nie Posts: 2,314 Forumite
    MATH wrote:
    I used to put the kidz white sports socks and Mrs MATH's muslin cloths which she removes her make-up with in a slo-cooker filled with water and a good cup of bio powder. Let it come up to temp and leave overnight and rinse in the morning. It got the whites white that my washer couldn't cope with.

but the stew tasted a bit iffy:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport