PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegetarian meals - portion size for pulses?

Options
Hello

I am not a full vegetarian but wanted to ask for help from those who regularly cook vegetarian food. I am trying to reduce the amount of meat I eat, for health and moneysaving reasons and because, having tried pulses over the last couple of months, I am hooked in a way that has surprised me!

However, I am struggling a bit with portion control. -especially since with lentils, chickpeas, beans etc I am usually cooking them into something like a stew or soup or dip - so it is easy to chuck in great handfuls at a time, and I don't really have an idea of what is normal.

I would normally use between 4-8 oz of meat/fish per person per meal, depending on the dish - but I don't know how much dry/cooked weight of pulses to use. How much does everyone else use? And how much more do cooked pulses weigh compared to dried pulses?

Sorry for all the questions, but if anyone can help or point me in the direction of useful websites, then I'd be really pleased!

Thanks
Annie

Comments

• Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't measure anything except for baking so couldn't give you amounts. And it depends on how much veg etc you're putting in with it.

If you're using tinned chickpeas for example, I would use a whole tin for 2 people if I was making a chickpea and cauliflower curry. So I suppose about half a tin worth per person. (cooked.)
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    annie-c wrote:
    .... I am trying to reduce the amount of meat I eat, for health and moneysaving reasons and because, having tried pulses over the last couple of months, I am hooked in a way that has surprised me!

I would normally use between 4-8 oz of meat/fish per person per meal, depending on the dish - but I don't know how much dry/cooked weight of pulses to use. How much does everyone else use? And how much more do cooked pulses weigh compared to dried pulses?

We're doing the same, Annie :)

Found this at "Your Complete Guide to Beans and Lentils" : -
    1 cup of dry navy beans=3 cups cooked
    1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans=6 cups cooked
    1 pound cooked beans will serve 6-8 people
    1 serving of cooked beans=3/4 of 1 cup

From the BBC - Back To Basics, Pulses
    Allow about 55g (2oz) dried weight per person - once soaked and cooked they will at least double in weight.

And this from Food Standards Agency, Eat well, be well, pulses, nuts and seeds.
    Three heaped tablespoons of pulses = one portion.

Have a good nosey around those links, Annie, because there are recipes and info that will help with your transition to a less meat diet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, this is great! I'll have a browse around now....
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Is this using US cup sizes, ie, 1 cup =8 oz?
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, Annie, I believe so because all the recipes on that site are in US cup measurements as it's a US Site, but I use a set of cup measures from Tesco's and the difference in this case is minimal.

HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • LearningToSave.
    LearningToSave. Posts: 1,428 Forumite
    Options
    If you're using tinned chickpeas for example, I would use a whole tin for 2 people if I was making a chickpea and cauliflower curry. So I suppose about half a tin worth per person. (cooked.)

any chance of the recipie for that curry gingham?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure