PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til Christmas - healthily?! Weezl's next challenge...

Hello again old-stylers.

Some of you may have seen the challenge that's just finished. Could me and Mr Weezl live on £40 a month for 3 months. But more than that, could we do it healthily?

I won't bore you with all the shenanigans along the way, 'cos you can read about them here:

old-style vs the USDA head to head challenge

Well, we did it, and learnt some amazing things, and met amazing folk along the way.

But never one to rest easy on my laurels, I'm itching for a new challenge. Having realised that we've ended the challenge with some to spare (23 evening meals frozen, and 29 sandwiches for lunches:D), I thought, 'I can do it cheaper I reckon!'

So the aim is, to feed me and Mr Weezl as healthily as I can, allowing myself 50p per person per day.

We're off to a good start today, having had a freegan supper of egg mayo sarnies and crisps ;)which were going begging after a works 'do'. Our total food cost today was 12p (muesli, and toast with marmalade and tea for Mr Weezl, and a houmous sandwhich and fruit loaf for his lunch...) so we've 88p in the bank already!:money:

I'll carry on researching the nutritional profile of the thriftiest meals, to see that this frugality doesn't damage us in any way!

As always, a journey is more fun with friends, and I'd really love some companions to share it with....:T

Who's in?! (no you don't have to match the ludicrous budget!)

Love Weezl (extremely excited after beginning a new challenge and winning a 'lil prize all in one day!:j:j:j) x

...and here's the index for our recipes etc, updated to include the new challenge:

click here for thoughts about the different nutrients

recipes

recipes for foragers, elderflowers, knotweed, nettles and dandelions

puddings, especially good for fattening up skinny acetate monkeys:

preserves, chutneys, relishes and Jam

What to do with a glut of tomatoes, a challenge!

breads, bagels, baps, and baguettes

frugal pates and sandwich fillers

soups

evening meals and light suppers

something to drink?

a healthy snack

hearty breakfast ideas

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
:)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wellllllll....hello again....weezl.:j

I'll settle back for a good view and a lot more tips from all...

Here goes nuthin.....or rather a good deal of something (for notta lotta dosh).
  • WAHEY!!!

Weezl, i'd be honoured to be a passenger in this journey you are making.

i'd like to wish you good luck for this challenge and say "let the recipes begin!!"

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Bobbykins
    Bobbykins Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'll be watching avidly (can't guaranteed I'll come out of lurkdom though!)....good luck
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Having watched the original challenge and picked up some yummy recipes along the way.....I'm looking forward to this one. :D
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'll be watching this thread just like I watched the last one - and I hope to pick up many tips on the way! good luck on the challenge, I've no doubt you'll manage :D
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'll be watching you and cheering you on!! Haven't been on MSE much lately and need to get back in here among friendssmile.gif
    I need to watch the pennies this month so will be really interested in your experiences.
    w
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    Hello Weezl - wow another amazing challenge. I remember being stunned when I first noticed your signature for £40 a month, but you managed that fantastically so I'm sure you can do this!

I might try something similar when I get back from holiday in a few weeks time, just worked out that from when I get back to Christmas is 136 days.. hmmm maybe a £1 a day? I'm not quite as thrifty as you!

Lots of luck x
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • kbarty
    kbarty Posts: 634 Forumite
    good luck! The original thread has certainly inspired me and so am so happy to see this thread.
    Debts - [STRIKE]£9925.64[/STRIKE] £8841.88 :T Aiming to get below £9k by the end of Oct. :D:D:D November aim - sub £7.5k! :cool:
    Just Say No November - Challenger 19 ~ Groceries £0/£160 ~ NSD's 1/25 ~ Money made £6/£80
  • mum2many
    mum2many Posts: 244 Forumite
    :T omg 50p a day wow:T
    em x
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    I will be watching this thread with desperate interest.

I don't think I can contribute much, but I believe I can learn loads.

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.

And well done on the last challenge - I am amazed :T:T:T:T
    Always another chapter

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family