PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dressmaking

Options
the_skint_minx
the_skint_minx Posts: 59 Forumite
edited 29 August 2023 at 4:32PM in Old style MoneySaving
Anyone here tried making their own clothes?

I'm not exactly talented on the arts and crafts front, but I figure even I could knock up the odd skirt if I had an easy pattern.

Question is, when clothes are so cheap now, is it really worth the outlay on patterns, materials etc?

I love the idea of making beautifully fitted, stitched and lined garments that will last a lifetime, but suspect I'm delusional....

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comments

• reen_3
    reen_3 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    i took a basic pattern cutting course last year. you'd be surprised how easy it is to make a skirt pattern that 's a perfect fit. a couple of months ago, i saw a great skirt online, but at £80, it was not to be. so i copied the pattern. it took maybe 30 mins, plus another couple of hours to sew it. all in all, the skirt cost around £6, and it looks almost as good as the £80 one.

in january, i'm going to enroll in a more advanced sewing course. can't wait!
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Also,  If you buy Prima magazine there is a free pattern in each month.  It's a 'proper' pattern too. If you don't subscribe you have to post off your address.

You usually get a full outfit, top and skirt or trousers. This month is a long sleeved top and long skirt.

Not bad for £2.80.

I've never actully made one. Always used to draw round my old skirt on a bit of newspaper leaving an inch gap all around then use that as the pattern - only works with simple stuff though.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Prima got a special offer at the moment: the first 3 copies at £0.33 per copy to subscribers, buy this months copy to find the offer.

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I couldnt tell one end of a pattern from another but the main benefits i can see about making your own clothes is that they will fit you perfectly. I have crawled high and low looking for the ulimate white shirt/skirt/trousers and if i dont like the colour or the fit is wrong it has to go back on the shelf no matter what its other benefits are.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    I used to make a lot of my own clothes but then the fabric shops and counters seemed to disappear :(

and as for the price of zips, buttons, thread etc now ::)

Now I get a lot of stuff from charity shops for about the price of a zip these days :-/
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options

Isn't that one at the back of House of Fraser still there Allexie? Oh what was it called? Taylors?  :-/

Yes it is Sheel....and there's the market I suppose....but when you live in Headingley where there are 11 charity shops at present I find I just can't be bothered anymore!
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• the_skint_minx
    Options
    Unfortunately the charity shops round here are a bit hit and miss. Lots of them, great for books and household stuff, but nothing you'd be seen dead in :-(

But we do have a good market so I'll check out the fabrics, and scope out a second hand sewing machine. (ebay was looking promising yesterday).

Clothes are a major weakness, and I figure a sewing hobby will at least keep me out of the shops!

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • hatsepsovet
    Options
    I really enjoy sewing and craft in general. I buy a magazine called Burda which has at least 30 patters in each issue. They vary from easy to quite difficult but for £3.50 I think it's brilliant. Most of John Lewis stores have department with fabric and haberdashery and although some of the farbrics can be expensive I always look into the "remnants box" where I always find pieces big enough for at least a skirt.
    It's best to regret things you have done rather than those you have not...
  • ancasta_2
    ancasta_2 Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    McCalls (i think it is) do patterns for almost EVERYTHING

im a big fan of customizing, i have textiles and other fabric/fashion qualifications and love making stuff

i also ebay 99% of everything i make :)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    try this for fabric bargains
    http://www.croftmill.co.uk/.

also charity shop finds you wouldn't actually be seen dead in are very good for buttons and zips.

try buying a plain skirt from a charity shop and then unpick the waistband and play around with the skirt until it fits you perfectly - tack new side seams in place and pull the waist up or down as needed.. then tie a bit of string around your waist and mark the new waistline with dressmaker's chalk. Cut the seams open and mark the new seamlines witha 1.5 centimetre margin and you've got an easy skirt pattern
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback