PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What's caustic soda for?

Munkee_2
Munkee_2 Posts: 60 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 27 October 2015 at 6:26PM in Old style MoneySaving
Any ideas, hints and tips please?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caustic soda  or Lye  is used as a paint stripper, is highly toxic and will burn your skin off in seconds if you let it touch you

if its inhaled it can and usually does cause pneumonia or worse

its marvellous if you follow the instructions for unblocking drains or the loo or a sink.

and thats about it really  unless you want to make soap. then you need to use it but very very carefully  mask  gloves goggles.

dont mix it with bleach or youll blow the road up ;D

dont mistake it for washing soda they are different
  • Js_Other_Half
    Js_Other_Half Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    My mother had to have skin grafts after it burned her face a number of years ago - she was lucky it missed her eyes. :'(

One of our neighbours burned his arm at the same time (it was Xmas) and he needed operations too.

That was just 2 instances in a village of about 2000 - I dread to think how many people are hurt by this over a year in the UK.

Just be aware of how dangerous it is if you use it - personally I don't have it in the house.
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Its very dangerous, sorry about your mum thats terrible.

I restore old furniture now and again so use it as a stripper, its a lot cheaper than nitromors but I make sure im gloved gowned and masked and goggled.

we also use it if the drains block which they seem to with frequency around here

other than that it stays in the shed.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have only used it once for a blocked drain and i would never keep it in the house. Ever. Not with young children around even in a high cupboard, if yo do keep it on your property keep it in a locked garage/shed.

This stuff is evil.
  • Js_Other_Half
    Cathy treats it with respect, and is unlikely to be harmed by it. What upsets me is the ease of which it can be bought - every local corner shop nearby seems to sell it with no advice or warning.

Some people do not read labels - or think they are being overcautious by taking precautions.

All I can say is, please don't ignore the warnings on the packaging, or think you are going OTT by wearing protective clothing.

I will have to think long and hard before I ever use it.
  • Munkee_2
    Munkee_2 Posts: 60 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks to all - I know not to bother buying it now!
  • sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    :o Didn't realise how dangerous caustic soda is. Thanks for the messages above. I was keeping it in the cleaning cupboard with all the others, bleach etc!!! Now safely removed to the garage. :)
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • Js_Other_Half
    Glad to have been of help Corrina.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    in saying that, if you ever get a blocked loo or drain, before you call out the experts and spend a fortune

try a bottle of caustic soda made to the directions wear a mask or tie something round your face and be careful
    9 times out of ten it will move that blockage.

its great stuff used right
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Munkee wrote:
    Any ideas, hints and tips please?

beleive it or not I make soap from caustic soda!! sounds unlikely I know and you have to take lots of precautions but by the time the soap has cured all the lye (caustic bit) has gone . Honest. its a true tried and tested way of making it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure