PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Soya Milk substitutes?

Options
While browsing on this site the other day (Money saving Old Style), I saw a post by a student about soya milk. I can't even remember the gist of it now, but something was mentioned about pulses, then some sort of substitute (?) for soya milk.
As I have to use it all the time, I wondered if there is a cheaper alternative. Its especially expensive in powder formula, which I take with me when I travel. I have done a "search" to no avail. Any help/pointers please, with tips or the original post.
LL
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    crana999 doesnt eat meat and has mentioned soya milk a couple of times so might be worth sending a pm in that direction or doing a search of recent posts by that member (I had a quick look and it looks hopeful) sorry I cant be more specific and provide a direct link :(
    Blah
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You can make vegetable milks with all sorts of nuts, seeds, rice, oats etc.

There had been a thread here a long time ago with all the details, I remember discussing this subject with Cathy, does anyone remember where the thread is?

There is an organisation that sells a machine to make your own seed/bean milk but it is quite expensive (although I am sure it is worth the expense in the long term if you use loads of the stuff). I cannot vouch for the quality of the machine or the end product but I am planning to buy one sooner or later, as I go through soya milk quite fast.

For me the issue is also to avoid GM soya and overpackaging (tetra-pak etc) so I shall eventually buy it!

The company that sells it is Soyafresh.

If any of you get one of these machines before I do (at the moment I am waiting to recover from Christmas and a long stretch out of work before committing money to a gadget!), please let me know what you think of them.

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Caterina,

I have searched high and low for that thread, both on here, and on the old board. I remember seeing it myself. I have done a search on Student100s posts and it isnt on this board.

Unfortunately, the 'Old' Old Style board only goes back 14 pages and the thread in question isnt there. I am presently trying to go through his posts on the Old board, but its taking time and i am going cross eyed in the process. I think i am beginning to know him as much as my 19 year old daughter.:D
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm well happy with that. I can't afford to order it today, as I've just ordered the office chair on the "Grabbit" board, this morning. I will get one in the next couple of weeks though. Probably after Easter, as I'm going away for 2wks and won't be home for the delivery anyhow.
    I've never even heard of them. You live and learn! Thanks again for you help and searching.
    I'm getting addicted to this board now. May even try the April Challenge.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm. I have never made my own soya milk, although I remember when I was younger making nut milk out of almonds etc put in the blender with water and then I think strained (iirc this was from the "Pocahontas Cookbook"..!)

What brand do you use? I get the Asda own brand version which I think is 65p/litre... some of the "names" are twice that! I have heard Tesco do an Economy soya milk too tho I haven't tried it.

Oh umm you could also try watering it down a little bit, and also when you have finished the cartion there are normally some lumps of stuff in the bottom, if you put a bit of water in the carton and shake it up the lumps dissolve and you get a bit extra!
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi crana999, I use "Alpro" at £1.19 (I think it is), long life. I normally buy a dozen at a time in my Tesco delivery. I did try the Tesco Basic range. It was ok, but I can never order it from their website and don't have a car. I think that was 65p a litre, so much cheaper than the one I'm using now.
    As for the almonds...............well as much as I love to eat them, they are far to expensive to turn into milk!
    You've prompted me to email Tesco today and ask why I can't access their basic soya milk. Something I should have had the sense to do before now!
    LL

• crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    I think you could do it with other nuts, but it's probably not worth the cost. Good idea to email Tesco! if you have an Asda the Asda soya milk is very good - i get it and bring it to uni with me!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You can make seed milk with sunflower (and other) seeds too, much cheaper but very distinctive taste, the same way as you made almond milk. It helps if you soak the seeds in cold water in the fridge overnight too!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure