PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Advice on Handwashing Wedding DressPlease

Options
I recently got married and now I need to clean my wedding dress. I was going to have it dry cleaned, but was amazed by the prices of £100-£!75 to have it cleaned! Have since checked label and much to my relief it states it should be handwashed at 40c. Being brought up in the age of washing machines means that I am not au fait with handwashing and I don't want to ruin my dress so has anyone got any tips?
Nice to save.

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Make sure you have a spotless sink or basin that is big enough for dress. You may have to use the bath.

Fill with warm water and make sure it is not too hot and then dissolve a gentle soap powder (fairy?) and swish the water to make sure there are no gritty bits.

Place dress in water and dunk up and down for 15 mins approx and gently rub any areas with a mark on it.

Remove dress and empty receptacle (bath etc) then put plenty of clear warm water in and repeat earlier process. You may need two seperate rinses at least. Hope this is of help. :)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • tammy_nadine
    Options
    thank you, just racking my brains for somewhere to dry it in our little flat now ???
    Nice to save.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As an alternative, you may be able to wash it in a washing machine - it depends on the options the machine offers.

For example .. does it have a cold wash e.g. 30 or 400? And a gentle or wool wash i.e. with minimun agitation? And does it have a "no spin" or "rinse hold" option?

If so, I would use those.

Do you have a shower? I would then take the wet dress and place it on a proper hanger - the very sturdy ones supplied with men's suits would be fine. Hang it on the shower rail and allow it to drip dry over the bath.

HTH
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Put towel in bottom of bath then put dress over clothes horse that you have placed on top of towel. Or else on a clothes hanger dripping over the bath.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Put towel in bottom of bath then put dress over clothes horse that you have placed on top of towel.

But not a coloured towel, in case the colour transfers to the dress ;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i washed mine in washing machine :o on delicates - it came put fine, i then hung it on the line to dry - it was summer.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My mum washed my sister's dress and the bridesmaids dresses in the bath. It rained on the wedding day so there were lots of mud splashes up the back and ground into the stitching on the hems. She used mild hand soap on a gentle nail brush and very delicately rubbed each spot. Result - not a mark to be seen and the dress was in perfect condition ;D
  • geordie1234
    Options
    I can confirm, as a previous poster said, that it is possible to wash your wedding dress in the washing machine.

I was feeling very brave and used the delicates cycle on 30 and a slow spin! Needed a little vanish too. The material is 100% polyester satin with embroidery and beads. It came out as good as new and because I spun it, I didn't have to let it drip over the bath.

It was a bit of a squeeze and it would have been easier taking it to the laundrette in hindsight (but less embarassing this way).
    :T
  • Jules__2-2
    Options
    Just a thought, have you tried any smaller/local dry cleaners? When I was searching the internet it brought up the same prices as you mention but my mum took my wedding dress to the local drycleaners who did it for much less apparently :)
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been putting off getting mine cleaned and box because of the price tag. I was actually saving for it, but now considering putting it in the washing machine...perhaps in a double duvet cover for extra protection? It's not really soiled at all but a bit grey at the bottom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure