PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy Vegetarian O/S recipes?

Options
Hi
I'm just wondering if anyone has any tried and tested quick and easy vegetarian o/s recipes? My friends oh is veggie and she wants something nutritious and filling she can cook for the whole family, but shes quite a beginner at this!
Any help appreciated :D

Comments

• frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My family love cheesy potato bake,you boil and mash your potatoes,place the mash in an oven proof dish,grate some mature cheddar cheese in a dish I add some mozzarella cheese and mix together,we like some chopped onions mixed in.Then sprinkle the cheese on top of the potato,bake in the oven (gas 5)for about 20 mins or until the cheese is golden brown,I serve it with french bread,salad,and coleslaw.
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've just had veggie shepherds pie for tea.

Dice a whole loads of veg (onions leeks carrots swede parsnip cauli etc) and cover with stock season to taste. Simmer until veggies are to your liking mix in some cornflour to thicken cover with mash and put in the oven for about 15 mins.
    I use Morrisons mash in aflash cheese and chive flavour. YUMMY
    I haven't got one!
  • cheekymole
    Options
    divide a tin of mixed beans in tomato sauce between 4 lage tortilla wraps add some pineapple pieces. roll up put in an ovenproof dish cover with a cheap pasta sauce sprinkle with cheese and oven bake for about 20 mins
    I haven't got one!
  • cheekymole
    Options
    ooh I could go on all night.....
    I haven't got one!
  • franney
    franney Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    I've just had a lovely chickpea and quorn mince curry :T
    For 4 servings:
    medium onion
    tin chick peas
    2 carrots
    couple handfuls frozen quorn mince
    two tins chopped tomatoes
    two tablespoons curry powder

chop onion, fry off in a dribble of olive oil with 1 tblsp curry powder
    cut carrots in half lengthways, then into chunks, chuck in the pan when onions are soft, add drained chickpeas and quorn, stir it all together and fry for a minute or two
    add the tomatoes and rest of curry powder and simmer for half an hour til carrots are soft
    I left mine overnight to allow the flavours to infuse ;)
    I served mine with mushroom rice and it was goooooorgeous :D

(For mushroom rice: cook rice according to packet insructions, 5 mins before it's done fry 4 largish sliced mushrooms in a little olive oil or frylight, when the rice is cooked add it to the pan with the mushrooms and fry it off for a couple of mins and til any water left in the rice is evaporated)

It's not authentic curry i know but it tastes delish :)
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    Options
    Veggie bolognese & veggie chilli are both yum and can be frozen. Just follow a normal recipe and substitute the meat for Quorn mince.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Here is a list of recipes from the O/S recipe thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=480423&postcount=11
    Catherine x
  • moonbeam682
    Options
    Hi anna :)

this is a really easy beanburger recipe

I tin drained mashed kidney beans
    breadcrumbs made with 1 1/2 slices wholemeal bread
    1 medium grated carrot
    1 medium finely chopped onion
    1 teaspoon mixed herbs
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoons tomato puree
    3 tablespoons vegetable stock

fry the onion in a little oil till soft, mix with the other ingredients and shape into burgers. place onto oiled baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes 375F/190C/gas 5 and turn the burgers once during cooking.

they can be frozen too :)
    'Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairy tales, thats's all she ever thinks about riding with the wind' - Little wing, Jimi Hendrix
  • MonkeyGirl
    Options
    Cauliflower Cheese. Sorry I don't have a recipe. This site might help for other ideas. http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/index.html

MonkeyGirl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport