PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Birthday cakes and prezzies for bf

Options
I need some help here. My lovely boyfriend lives in Sweden. It is his birthday next Saturday and I am going to visit him this Thursday to Monday.
I am completely broke..not one pence to my name. I thought about making him a birthday cake for a present. Does anyone know of a good cake recipe and frosting that I can make Wednesday night, stay out of the fridge for almost a day, and still be fresh and moist on Saturday?

Anyone have any ideas for gifts? I have used the voucher website mentioned in the Christmas thread. I gave him a framed picture of us already. Can someone think of a gift I can make? Or something VERY inexpensive? He is not at all materialistic and very generous-he payed for the flight this time. I just need some ideas for something cheap but meaningful.

Please, please help if you can...desperate! :o
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comments

• cymro1170
    cymro1170 Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you hve a favourite poem or song?
    You could get the poem or lyrics printed out on nice paper in a nice font and frame it?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about "promise vouchers" that you could type out on your computer?

E.G. "I promise to bring you breakfast in bed"

"I promise to cook your favourite dish" etc etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • emr_2
    emr_2 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    how about tying a gift ribbon and tag to your wrist and saying Happy Birthday, then give him a big kiss and hug
  • devoncat
    devoncat Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    emr wrote:
    how about tying a gift ribbon and tag to your wrist and saying Happy Birthday, then give him a big kiss and hug

Perfect! Thanks. I will also make the promise vouchers.

Any cake recipes or ideas out there?
    I was thinking that I should avoid cream cheese frosting since it will be out of the fridge for a day. I thought a really naturally moist cake like carrot cake, but what do I do about frosting? Am I thinking on the right lines??
    A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. --Eleanor Roosevelt
  • sallypurple
    Options
    how about this white chocolate fudge recipe? It should set quite nicely to help your cake retain its moistness and won't go off out of the fridge.

1 large bar (200g) white choloate
    50g butter or marg
    6 heaped tbsp icing sugar
    Afew drops of vanilla essence

Put all in a bowl in the microwave until melted then mix with a electric mixer until smooth. When it has cooled you can pour or spread it over your cake. Any leftovers make lovely sweeties.
    :snow_laug HM Christmas 2010
    Knitted squares - [STRIKE]6[/STRIKE]13. pages of ideas - [STRIKE]7[/STRIKE] 19:rotfl:
  • GeDink
    GeDink Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    This may sound soppy but how about wrapping/decorating an empty box, giving it to him and telling him not to open it as it contains your love for him? Friend of mine did this for her first wedding anniversary.
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    How about fruit cake covered in marzipan and icing? Providing you wrap it up well it won't go off - fruit cake can last for months when stored properly. I'm sure some of the other posters can come up with plenty of suggestions about how to pick up the ingredients v. cheaply - Lidl springs to mind. If you haven't got one nearby, have you got any Sainsburys/Tescos points on a loyalty card that you could redeem to cover part of the cost of the ingredients?

Thinking about loyalty cards, have you got any others (e.g. Boots) that have points on that you could convert into a small prezzie? If you only had a pound or two on a Boots card, for example, you could get a really nice bottle of bath stuff and have a romantic bath for two one evening.....I'm sure that would put a smile on his face!!!
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    devoncat,
    I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but i've got a funny feeling that you won't be able to take food out of the country if you are flying.

Sorry if you're not i'd double check if you are though as i think they are quite strict about things like that, call the airline or something.

I'd hate to think you'd slaved away making a lovely cake to be told you were not allowed to take it with you .

HTH :D
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't you make something when you got there?
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure