Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • Frugaldom
    Get your BILLY CAN ready
    I've updated my signature and the following is my current financial state, showing what's already been spent and what's left of each. The items without second figures are things that I haven't had to pay yet. I never topped up my mobile in January at all! So that's a good start.

My recalculated targets for 2008 are:

Heat & Light: 1000 - 419.50 = 580.50
    Telephone: 280
    Mobile: 60 -
    Internet: 230 - 24.99 = 204.89
    TV Licence: 135.50
    Insurances: 170 - 52.40 = 117.60
    Gifts/Special Occasions: 500 - 49.23 = 450.77
    Groceries: 1440 - 160.59 = 1279.41
    Everything else: 184.50 - 161.70 = 22.80

Total: 4000 for year. Already spent 868.35, balance = 3131.65

This is day 38 of 366, which means we are over 10% of the way there

So what, exactly, is the Billy Can about?

Billy's real name is William, otherwise known as Will Power, I just call him Billy for fun. He's a friend to us all, especially Frugalites, but if you upset him he can stomp off in the huff and leave us high and dry not knowing what to do! I don't call on him as often as I should, but am hoping that, as there are so many of us here, he may visit more often. I called on him in December, told him I was stopping smoking and that it was up to him to make sure that I stuck to it. He explained that, over the coming year, I would save 468.48 and, sure to his word, he has stuck around to make sure that I didn't stray from the plan. He's even making sure that I get on that exercise bike and has set me a target to cycle off 25,000 calories by February 29th 2008!

In the past, Billy has helped me out with all sorts of things, mostly to do with finances. Sadly, some people don't even believe he exists. Despite him being there for us at all times, many deny his very existance. Well, he's asked me to prove to you that he is real and says to warn you that you may feel really silly to start off with, because he's a bit of a practical joker!

The first thing he has asked me to get you to do is to save the next empty tin you see or use. It doesn't matter what was in it, although he reckons that most people settle for baked beans, spaghetti or tinned tomatoes.:confused: I'll be interested in hearing from everyone about this as, amazingly, mine was a baked beans tin! OK, whatever was in the tin has probably been eaten, so completely remove the lid and make sure there aren't any sharp edged. Wash it out, remove the food label and then get a piece of paper to make a new label. On this, you should write his name - in BIG BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS - write the name BILLY! You now have your billy can!

Let me know as soon as you have yours and then I'll let you into the secret of what billy can do for you...
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 07-02-2008 at 8:40 PM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,784Posts Today

7,522Users online

Martin's Twitter