Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 65

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.1K views

Replies

• lotti379lotti379 Forumite
    787 posts
    @NickJW - I never even realised that is what the stars were for! Makes sense now someone else has pointed it out... I shall be scrutinising those stars in future!
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • lotti379 wrote: »
    @NickJW - I never even realised that is what the stars were for! Makes sense now someone else has pointed it out... I shall be scrutinising those stars in future!

I always thought the stars were for things on offer.
  • lotti379lotti379 Forumite
    787 posts
    I always thought the stars were for things on offer.

Hmm... I think I shall find some old receipts lurking in my purse (as there always are...) and get to the bottom of this! I seem to remember, vaguely, getting lots of stars and not that many offers last time in Mr T's. But, I shall think about that tomorrow, sleep time now!
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • Have spent £82.62 of £150 budget already but this is ok as my main shopping is at beginning of the month to stock up:

Mr t****s £51.71 (lower than normal for monthly T shop as some items not in stock, service charge was refunded, £1.50 off in spend x amount on certain foods and get 25p off x 6, £5 refunded goodwill gesture, & £10 off next grocery shopping because delivery was due between 8-9 last night and didnt turn up till 10.30 this morning after a few calls)

Local Turkish Shop £30.91 (all my meat, poultry, vegtables and turkish food comes from here)

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much tomatoes cost per kg because the local turkish shop charges £2.39 and i make loads of salad a week and would like to try to get this down a bit.

On the plus side have been preaching to sis in law about budgeting and shopping around for prices, she told me she spends £170 a week of the top of her head (her, her dh & 2kids) we all know this is is more when we keep our receipts you always forget the little shops, i nearly fell of the sofa. £170 a month would make me a happy bunny, i told her i get princes tuna for £2.39 (4 can) & she was amazed how much ashe could save by stocking up on items when they are 1/2 price, buy one get one free etc, i am going to start going shopping with her, i said that even though they could afford it, the money could be put towards buying a house, savings, shoes etc. She agreed, she does like her shoes.....
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • RebelleRebelle Forumite
    84 posts
    Missus_Aka wrote: »
    Does anyone have a rough idea of how much tomatoes cost per kg because the local turkish shop charges £2.39 and i make loads of salad a week and would like to try to get this down a bit.

Hiya, just checked Asda.com and their cheapest toms (just normal ones you could use in salad etc) are £1.60 per kg, so a bit cheaper but I bet the ones you buy will taste better, don't eat fresh toms myself just use tinned in cooking, but have heard others complain that some supermarket toms are really tasteless and not very nice. Organic ones will prob be better but are even more expensive than what you buy - organic cherry toms are £5.88/kg!:eek:

Growing your own could be an option, have never done it myself but there's loads of advice on the forums here about it, my grandad used to grow them in his conservatory, don't think it's too difficult you just need a bit of space to do it.
    Pax Et Bonum
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've added your Spinach and Avocado Soup recipe to the front page index Mothership ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 posts
    ✭✭✭
    10 oz SR Flour
    4 oz Brandy Butter, butter, or a mix of both, or marg if you prefer
    4 oz Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
    1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice
    3 Eggs
    10 oz crumbled (Cooked) Xmas pudding
    1 Small cup of strong tea.

Method

Mix all the ingredients together, butter a large loaf tin or 2 small ones. Bake at 180 for 40-45 min.

This is the second xmas pudding loaf I've made, the first one was made with leftover pud, it was so nice I went on a reduced xmas pudding hunt, found some and tried the second one, the brandy butter and mixed spice really improved the taste.
    The texture is light and crumbly, and is fantastic with a cup of the same tea you make the loaf with.

Enjoy
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • edited 5 January 2011 at 1:01PM
    MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 5 January 2011 at 1:01PM
    10 oz SR Flour
    4 oz Brandy butter, butter or a mix of both, or marg
    1 oz Dried milk powder
    1 Teaspoon Baking powder
    4 Ox Sugar
    Crumbled Xmas Pudding (not more than weight of flour)

Binder = Buttermilk/Cream/yoghurt/ milk, even milk just about to go off to bind mix.

Method

Add the flour, baking powder, butter and dried milk to bowl, add butter rub in, lift the mix as high as you can while rubbing to get air into the scones, add the sugar, and crumbled cooked xmas pud.
    Bind the mix with a little at a time of your choice of binder, stop when the mix starts coming together. Shape into a sausage and cut into slices about 1 1/2 in thick. I put mine on a round baking tray, they had all baked into each other and looked like a flower.
    Bake at 180 for about 15-20 min. I left mine in a bit long, I was reading all the lovely recipes on this thread LOL, but they were still delicious.

I was watching the Edwardian Farm recently and saw them making scone thingys, one of the ingredients was powdered milk. I've never made scones with it so was desperate to try it, the outside is crisp and the inside soft and fluffy.

Well worth looking for reduced xmas puds and brandy butter to make.

Someone here suggested xmas pudding, bread and butter pudding, guess what I'll be making for the OH tomorrow LOL. If its any good I'll post the recipe, if not I will hide LOL.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • edited 5 January 2011 at 6:37AM
    RebelleRebelle Forumite
    84 posts
    edited 5 January 2011 at 6:37AM
    Oooh Mothership thank you so much for posting those, especially the Xmas Pud loaf, I have both Xmas Pud and brandy butter to use up and don't fancy them as is, your recipe is perfect! Cheers! :beer:

ETA: Scratch that, still got that damn yoghurt in the fridge that needs using, will do the scones instead!
    Pax Et Bonum
  • welshkazwelshkaz Forumite
    288 posts
    Mr a delivered my first shop of the year £56.19, plus yesterday bread and milk £2.00 plus £6.00 in chemist on flu tabs god weve been so ill here x
    may groc challenge £167/£280...