PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I'm scared!

Options
Hi all, looking for some practical pointers please.
I have just split up from my partner, he has moved out. I am devastated emotionally, haven't stopped crying all week but I need to work out a way of cutting costs. I have two children (not his) and now he has gone I am going to be about £150 a week worse off. I already keep food costs to a minimum but am not so brilliant at other money saving tricks. Can anyone please point me at any hints or tips to help me. I am so worried I will have to move and I will let my kids down. Thanks everyone. xx
Friday April 9th 2010 the day I become Mrs Jones!

Weight loss campaign! 26th November - 10st 8lb:eek: Need to lose a stone!
1st December - 10st 4lb

Comments

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    welcome dm and ((((hugs))))

come and join the grocery challenge to start with, i'm sure some of the more experianced members will have great advice for everything moneysaving :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As your situation has changed, is it possible that you will be eligible for benefits / increased tax credits? Good luck, and hope you feel more positive soon.
  • dm1465
    dm1465 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have applied for housing benefit and council tax benefit but because I work part time I am not sure how much I will get. I hadn't thought about the tax credits, will call them tomorrow. Thank you.
    Friday April 9th 2010 the day I become Mrs Jones!

Weight loss campaign! 26th November - 10st 8lb:eek: Need to lose a stone!
    1st December - 10st 4lb
  • katylittlelady
    Options
    Hi DM,

Its definately worth doing the give yourself a 25% payrise if you have never done it before, loads of ways to save and make money there and then the forum has so many tips its difficult to keep up with them, some of the money saving old style tips are great so take some time to look through them, small things make a big difference before you know it!

Hugs x
    Thank you to all posters:beer:
  • davetaylor
    davetaylor Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First of all huge hugs!

Second off all, as has been suggested, make sure that you are claiming every single penny that is being offered.

Third of all, keep on these pages, not only is there some amazing advice, there are some thoroughly, lovely and practical people that will be able to help..

Dave x
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    It might also be worth having a look on the Debt-Free Wannabe board; you could post a list of all your incomings & outgoings and they'll advise you if there are any areas you could make savings, such as reducing your interest payments etc. Hope you're ok - be brave, you will get through this!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • shirefairy
    shirefairy Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your situation but pleased that you are on here trying to sort things out for yourself and your kids...well done you! I get the feeling that beneath all the emotion of this recent heartbreak you're a strong resourceful woman and you'll get through this. Anyone who is raising two kids must have a lot of commitment, skill and motivation.

Like most people have said - check your getting everything your entitled to, read as much on the forums as you can, try and be positive and have belief in yourself.

Let us know how you get on (((((HUGS)))))
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Paulie'sGirl Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    Heya,

That must be very scary for you, but you're in the right place for good advice.

If the 25% payrise looks too daunting all in one go, pick the low hanging fruit. Would you save by switching gas and electric suppliers? Its summerish now, can you turn the heating off? The phone bill, are you on an unlimited tariff when you could cope on a landline and a top-up service?

A good place to start if you're looking at totally new circumstances is with the budgetting spreadsheet, that way you can see where your money is going, and that might of itself help you identify areas where you can cut back.

Chin up poppet, we're here to help!

Love and hugs,

PGxx
  • smokybabe
    smokybabe Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,

to check on what you may be entitled to go to

http://entitledto.com/
    If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape 100 days of sorrow.......Chinese proverb
    DFW No 172.
  • Merlot
    Merlot Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    Get your Council Tax changed over to single person occupancy on Monday, it should save you some money (assuming your children are not over 16 or 18 if they are in full time education).

A few suggestions for you:

If you have a car, then do a carboot sale.
    Ebay some clutter
    Check U switch for your cheapest Gas and Electricity supplier and use Quidco to change, you can get cashback.
    Lower your mobile phone tariff, or get rid of it completely if you are out of contract, and then sell the phone on Ebay.
    Check you are using the cheapest home phone/internet provider.
    Buy only Tesco/Sainsburys/Asda value range for the meantime

Every little will help.

Merlot.x.
    "Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does, except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place." — Abigail Van Buren
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure