r.mac's trip to Peru

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
19 replies 1.4K views
Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
32.7K Posts
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland

Good Luck r.mac, we are thinking of you!!

There can't be many people in Edinburgh who haven't heard of Maggie's Centre attached to the Western General Hospital and particularly if you have or know of someone who has undergone cancer treatment at the Western.

Maggie's Centres have now expanded to other hospitals about the UK and believe me do a fabulous job for both cancer sufferers and their friends and family.

r.mac along with a friend is trecking in Peru in October and only needs a further £250 to reach her target fundraising of £6,000. I am sure MSE users can help her reach this target with no problem whatsoever. Sadly because clickable links are no longer allowed in signatures r.mac had to
remove her signature linking to her justgiving page.

We met r.mac on Thursday at the Edinburgh meet and she is positively lovely so much so she wouldn't push herself forward and hence I am starting this thread. So come on all you Scots, you know what is always said after Children in Need, that the Scots are always the nation that give the most to charity, lets make it true in this case
icon7.gif

Replies

• r.mac_2r.mac_2 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Firstly, I would like to Thank Edinburghlass for starting this thread. :)

Secondly, I would like to thank all those who have sponsored me so far.

I thought people might be interested in hearing what I am doing to prepare for my challenge.

Fundraising Activities
    It's been a bit of a slog to tell the truth! I am doing the charity trek with a friend from work and between us we have to raise £6000. So far we have held two highland style Ceilidh's (I'm a real highlander and do like to have a burl around the dance floor), done three car boot sales, held a bingo night, begged our freinds and family to sponsor us and held a 20 question themed quiz. Not to mention the numberous afternoons spent bag packing in big named Supermarkets! :D

I have really enjoyed myself and felt a real sense of achievement just holding the events - I would certainly recommend visiting a car boot sale, but it's a hairy experience actually selling. I thought one lady was going to offer to buy the t-shirt I was wearing at one point :eek: :eek: :eek:

Training Activities
    The trip will take me up to over 4,500 metres above sea level into the deepest, darkest parts of Peru. I'm planning on taking some marmalade sandwiches as a snack! Each day I'll be walking for between 4 - 9 hours. In preparation I have been climbing Arthur's seat (an Edinburgh Landmark), walking in the Pentlands and up in Glencoe. It's been a great (and cheap) way to get fit and explore my own county.

The hardest part for me personally will be the 'facilities'. I am camping, which isn't a problem, but i'm a big unsure about not having a shower or toilet for two weeks :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have been stockpiling babywipes on BOGOF - my own portable freshen up! :rotfl: But I am pretty certain the experience will be woth it.

Charity
    I must quickly mention the Charity I am doing this for. Maggie's Cancer Caring Centres are very worthwhile and provide space and comfort for people with cancer and their families. The atmosphere they provide is quite fantastic. I hope that none of you ever have the chance to test the service they provide, but please remember they are there :T

Thanks again. I promise to let you know how I get on.

r.mac :D
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bumping this great cause, thanks for the reminder PP icon12.gif
    32.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erm, you are PW not PP :rotfl:
  • erm, you are PW not PP ,don`t understand!
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
    32.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter-Pan wrote:
    erm, you are PW not PP ,don`t understand!

Because Pink-Winged thanked me for bumping the post so I thought she thought it was her who reminded me and not you. However, who cares
    as I don't mind bumping up r.mac's post icon12.gif
  • r.mac_2r.mac_2 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    hello everyone :wave:

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your support. I have raised almost £7000 now so very pleased. :D

Start the trip in about 48 Hours - leave from Glasgow airport on Friday lunchtime.

I am getting very excited now........ :j

I have laid out all my kit to pack, and will probably have to half the clothes I want to take with me - otherwise I'll never make it anywhere!!!

Only one set back so far - I have an ear infection and i am praying that it clears before I encounter altitude problems. The doctor i saw yesterday didn't seem v concerned, so all looks good. Anyway. Will update you all when I get back.

Bye :wave:
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
    32.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW r.mac, best of luck for Friday!

Will be thinking about you and hope it turns out to be all you hope for icon7.gif

Have you asked the doc about taking anything for your ears while flying?
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    r.mac,

It's a really great thing that you're doing........£7,000!!! Wow! Maggie's Cancer Caring Centres will really appreciate the donation.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.

Pink
  • OscarOscar Forumite
    922 Posts
    Try and see another doctor about your ears.I know that most are not keen to prescribe antibiotics for ear infections but my son had this problem a few years ago and because we were going to be flying he reluctantly prescribed some. If you normally suffer from sore ears on landing try a few drops of Olbas oil on a tissue and inhale,worked wonders for my son.

Best of luck on your tour ...hope all goes well.
    :j
  • Str4berr3Str4berr3 Forumite
    666 Posts
    :j Good luck rmac!! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals