What do i need to do, cant pay CCJ's

Options
Hi, just before the new year i received 2 letters. One from British Credit Trust, Croydon Court saying i am ordered to pay £10500 and another from Northern Rock, Cardiff Court for £28000. They are both now showing up on my credit report as CCJ's, the debts are in joint names with my now X partner who doesnt live with me anymore but i got his copies of the same letters delivered to my address. I did offer to pay a monthly figure as advised by CCCS but they were rejected at the court and i have to [ay the full amounts.

Well obviously being a single mum now on benefits i can not afford to pay £38500, so what happens now?
Will bailiffs come to my home and take all my stuff? I dont have much, i have a jointly owned house with my X which is now up for sale due to our split. We owe £172k on it and it is only up for sale at £175995

What do i need to do?

Comments

• hitback
    hitback Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Have you contacted CCCS to see what they can advise? Someone may be along shortly who has more experience with this.

Hope things work out for you.
    Debt at Sept 2006 £63,500:eek:
    Debt at Sept 2012 £24,400
    DFD Dec 2012! (if PPI claims come in) !! :beer:
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member 828

Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sara,

You really do need to contact one of the debt charities in view of your changed circumstances, their contact details are in my signature.

The creditors may decide to instruct bailiffs but you'll get an enforcement order from the Court before that happens so you don't have to worry about them showing up unannounced. If that does ultimately happen, the golden rule with bailiffs is never to let them into your house, and make sure that all windows are closed and doors locked so they can't gain "peaceful entry".

The lenders may decide to apply for a charging order on your property but that won't really make any difference if there's very little equity in your property.

Are you absolutely certain the judgements are from the Court? Do they have a Court stamp on them? The amounts could be showing as defaults on your Credit Report rather than CCJ's. I would ring the Court and ask them for confirmation and ask what your options are now.

It's an absolute must to contact one of the Debt Charities though. Some speedy action now could prevent a lot of trouble in the future.

Best regards

Richard
  • Tuscan
    Tuscan Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    when you say the court rejected your offer, did they give a reason or ask you to pay more. just seems unusal for them to just say no to a monthly payment what so ever, are you sure its not the creditors who have rejected it?

you should be able to apply to the court for a redetermination hearing to get a payment plan excepted as they normaly agree something, or have you done this..

what did you offer to pay?
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As others have said check with the court as to what your options are. If the debt is joint, then I know it is hard but you are going to have to let the court know your ex OH's new address, so that he can also be chased for the debt.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure