We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

More Effort Required - the next 5 years

SandyShores
SandyShores Posts: 2,135 Forumite
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 22 September at 8:58AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Finally getting around to my MFW journey.  Aiming to be MF by SPA in about five years so I'd better get a wiggle on.

Background:

2014 - Final LBM and DFW
2019 - DFD - exhausting journey but :smiley:

2020 - Back on the property ladder £300k+
2025 - Mortgage down to £200k+

2026 - Reset needed
2031 - Working towards MF by SPA

Looks like I do these things in five year cycles, so hopefully this is the final one.  How do I enjoy these next 5 years and become mortgage free at the same time (knocking 7 years off the current end date)?

I've already got two holidays booked this year so that's a lot of the enjoyment ticked off.  Flights paid and apartment/holiday cash saved for the first one.  The second was booked on low deposit but I'm currently saving £200/mth for when the balance is due (unlike the old days when everything including spending was on credit cards).

Spending - its mostly on stuff for the house, but I've definitely made a few unnecessary ones in the last couple of years. 

So, time to rewind to 2014 when every penny was counted.  Goals are a bit woolly at the moment but will firm up as I work through them.

Goals:
- Set a manageable household budget and stick to it - make sure every penny and pound counts
- Work through subscriptions and end those I don't use
- Stop Spending
- Sell Stuff
- Make the most of points savings
- Prepare for possible changes at work
- First Mortgage goal - reduce end date to 2036 (10 years time)
- Ultimate goal - mortgage free by 2031 (ps I realise this is huge - but aim high!)
"Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
«1345678

Comments

  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 5,082 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I didn’t know they announce the million winners. I always wondered if they knew the day before. We didn’t win anything this month. Hope you did!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 5,082 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Well done on the win!  At least I’ll stop waiting for the phone call to say you’ve won a million (as if!!!)
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Well done on the million @Suffolk_lass ;)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.