SS's 2008 Debt Free Diary

Comments

• southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Now for all those newbies out there why dont you say a bit about how you got this far, so well & so quickly!

It's all in the diaries! :)

:p

It's hard to try and sumarise to be honest. I guess my stubborness helps. I've set myself a target and I won't stop until I've reached it.

I wouldn't have achieved half of what I have without this place. Just logging on every day reminds you why you are doing what you are. It keeps you focused and motivated.

Venture out of the DFW board. There are loads of tips and tricks aswell as serious money making oppurtunities out there *cough* matched betting *cough*

But just finds what works for you. There are no hard and fast rules. :)
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Right, confession time from me. I did get the details of matched betting from you but didn't do it as I am too thick to understand it (in a small voice "Sorry SS"). Hope loads of people take it up from you though.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    tealady wrote: »
    Right, confession time from me. I did get the details of matched betting from you but didn't do it as I am too thick to understand it (in a small voice "Sorry SS"). Hope loads of people take it up from you though.

It's not just you Tealady, there are loads of us who just don't understand MB :confused:
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • Aww never mind tealady! I've read those matched betting beginners posts over and over on a number of occasions, but it's just too much complicated maths for me! Betting in general I find tricky, I always have to read out odds long hand in my head to figure out what you have to put on to get the other number back! I'll have to stick to the wheel of fortune that is free bingo trials!
    1st LBM (Pre-Career Change): 01 March 2006 Debt Free Date: 28 April 2008 | Worst Debt: £7244.36

2nd LBM: 10 December 2019 Current Debt £25,322 [April 2020] | Worst Debt: £27,444
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't give up with it. I did. For months. Then one day I though b0llocks, I'm gonna crack this nut.

So I sat down, pen and paper, quiet room at took one step at a time.

When they talk about 'laying' a bet, just think of the term lay meaning you are now the bookie and you are taking the bet of someone else. The same bet you made at the bookie. :think:
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    A quiet room is a luxury we dont have here SS :rolleyes:
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • I think I'll have to do that SS sometime I've got a few days. I'm sure it made perfect sense, but that last sentence just made my head hurt!
    1st LBM (Pre-Career Change): 01 March 2006 Debt Free Date: 28 April 2008 | Worst Debt: £7244.36

2nd LBM: 10 December 2019 Current Debt £25,322 [April 2020] | Worst Debt: £27,444
  • Spirit_2
    Spirit_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done on getting so far so consistently. I am sure you will clear this last bit this year. I will look at the MB threads as I have not done this at all and I take it this is how you "earn" the £500 per mnth?

I also have along term Tesco loan so am interested in how you will clear it early. I overpay mine by £150 per month but I know this is not the MSE way as the overpayment does not reduce the interest borne.

Happy new year
    Spirit
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    :hello: SS! glad to see you have a new diary :) and here's to 2008 being a GREAT year! xx
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Happy new year SS, and this time next year you'll no longer be a wanabee! Me neither I hope, I'm with you in the fact that it's getting closer for me but not close enough yet.
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills