We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MPs finally call for compulsory financial ed in English primary and secondary schools

Options
MSE_Emily
MSE_Emily Posts: 190 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
Financial education should be taught on a compulsory basis in both primary and secondary schools in England, a cross-party group of MPs have finally said. MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis has welcomed the Education Committee's new report – which has put forward many of his proposals – arguing that every child deserves to be properly equipped for independent financial life...

Read the full story

MPs finally call for compulsory financial ed in English primary and secondary schools after damning evidence from Martin Lewis and others

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,520 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think this is a very good idea - I am active on a few forums and the lack of any financial understanding from some people  is shocking. Even things like they get £75 a week clear spending money but go overdrawn and can't understand why as they have no idea how much they are spending and believe 'someone' ought to be warning them how much their daily coffee and panini cost a week as it's only £9.50 a day which is nothing and they only bought a pair of shoes and a dress that week .

There's little understanding about budgeting, the belief that you don't pay tax if you are 'too young' or live at home is not uncommon. 

I think there would be a lot less issues with debt and basic understanding about what 'borrowing' actually signs you up for going forward if there was some basic grounding.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback