Nest vs People's pension

Options
Hi 

I've got a private pension SIPP in Vanguard Lifestrategy (best decision) however I need to sort my workplace pension as they are changing the pension provider and asked me if I want to move from Nest to People's Pension...

If I had a choice I wouldn't pick either but because it's my workplace's pension I need to decide. Which one would you pick?!

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    d_pipa said:
    Hi 

I've got a private pension SIPP in Vanguard Lifestrategy (best decision) however I need to sort my workplace pension as they are changing the pension provider and asked me if I want to move from Nest to People's Pension...

If I had a choice I wouldn't pick either but because it's my workplace's pension I need to decide. Which one would you pick?!

Given NEST's initial contribution charge of 1.8%, that's not a great incentive - especially if you are in the older age bracket.

Not sure why you're being given a choice. Surely it's for your employer to pick the provider?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Look at the charges and available funds for both. People's pension was more limited in the funds available last I looked at them.
  • BlackKnightMonty
    BlackKnightMonty Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 May at 12:50PM
    Options
    Personally I have been quite happy with NEST. As soon as I joined I swapped into the Sharia fund. And past performance, blah blah, has been the best performing out of all the NEST funds.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Personally I have been quite happy with NEST. As soon as I joined I swapped into the Sharia fund. And past performance, blah blah, has been the best performing out of all the NEST funds.
    Yes the performance has been very good, because it is highly concentrated in the US and the tech companies.
    Maybe that will continue, or maybe not....
  • BlackKnightMonty
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 May at 10:59PM
    Options
    Yes the performance has been very good, because it is highly concentrated in the US and the tech companies.
    Well the 13 years of NEST it’s performed the best.

But of course past performance blah blah.

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

If it had existed in the 13 years prior to that, it would have been the worst with that asset makeup.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • BlackKnightMonty
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunstonh said:

If it had existed in the 13 years prior to that, it would have been the worst with that asset makeup.
    As I said; fantastic performance.

• dunstonh
    Options
    dunstonh said:

and as I said, the 13 years prior to that, it would have been awful performance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • BlackKnightMonty
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 May at 9:41AM
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    dunstonh said:

and as I said, the 13 years prior to that, it would have been awful performance.
    A great virtue of NEST is that you can switch funds, for free, in the space of a week. So quite easy to move to a low risk fund if the markets turn. Actually the sustainable fund looks quite good for a bear market.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    A great virtue of NEST is that you can switch funds, for free, in the space of a week.
    That is actually slow if that's the case.  A SIPP using direct assets (ETFs/ITs) is real time and OEICs/UTs are usually T+2.         Charging for switching funds would actually be rare nowadays (although direct assets often have a dealing charge - but not OEICs/UTs or pension funds)

So quite easy to move to a low risk fund if the markets turn. 
    How do you know when the markets are going to turn?  Or are you saying that you would move out of them after it has dropped?

Take the chart above and tell us what point you would have pulled out?
    Anything from March 2000 to December 2000 is within normal volatility.  So, its unlikely it would be between then.  You get a glimmer of hope in January 2001 that is a false dawn.  So, its likely it would be after that.

What about going back in again?   You see things improve after October 2001

But then it goes down again and a decade later you have barely made anything.  And you probably did worse by chasing returns.

The thing about risk is that it is fine when everything is going up.  Anything that can go up that quickly and by that much can go down that quickly and by just as much.

Actually the sustainable fund looks quite good for a bear market.
    Historically, sustainable funds underperform the general market the majority of the time.   They have the odd good year but mostly they don't.    That is why you often see the additional risk warning

Here is tech vs global:

and in monetary terms with £100k base

Are we in a bubble again? is tech going to revert to mean as it has before?  (red is global equity)

The thing is, nobody knows. Those people who piled in in the late 90s (usually after the big increases had already happened) destroyed their retirement plans.  

And just in case you say, just look how much bigger the growth is this time, remember that charting makes older events look smaller.  If we shorten the timescale to 15 years, you will see the growth in tech this time is actually about the same as it was last time.

Going tech heavy could change your life.   For the better or worse.   

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback