Ex refusing transfer of equity

Options
Hi all, need help!

Bought a house (equal rights) with my fiancé 18months ago and we broke up a year ago. I’ve offered to transfer my equity/share of mortgage to him and remove my self from the title deeds walking away with £0 just to get rid of him and anything to do with the house. He is refusing to do so, saying he won’t pay the mortgage company £95 for the transfer fee in case it fails. I think he’s worried he won’t meet the affordability on his own, or incase it changes the rate etc

He’s saying I may have to wait for the 5 year fixed deal to end before he can sort it out, as he’s apparently now in a lot of debt with credit cards and car payments. How do I get off the mortgage, could a solicitor remove me from the mortgage? 

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,097 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    SM18 said:
    Hi all, need help!

Bought a house (equal rights) with my fiancé 18months ago and we broke up a year ago. I’ve offered to transfer my equity/share of mortgage to him and remove my self from the title deeds walking away with £0 just to get rid of him and anything to do with the house. He is refusing to do so, saying he won’t pay the mortgage company £95 for the transfer fee in case it fails. I think he’s worried he won’t meet the affordability on his own, or incase it changes the rate etc

He’s saying I may have to wait for the 5 year fixed deal to end before he can sort it out, as he’s apparently now in a lot of debt with credit cards and car payments. How do I get off the mortgage, could a solicitor remove me from the mortgage? 
    Lenders discretion I’m afraid. Even if you went to court and the judge agreed, no one can force the lender to remove your name from the mortgage. You could remove yourself from the deeds, but that wouldn’t remove you from the mortgage.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • SM18
    SM18 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I’ve spoken to mortgage company, they’re happy to switch if my ex does the application and meets criteria, he’s refusing to do the application 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Most likely your ex is unable to remortgage into their own name. Selling the property is the only way forward. Until then you'll remain tied in. There's no easy way to just walk away. 
  • SM18
    First Post
    Options
    The mortgage is around 170k and I think the property is valued around 130-40k will this cause issues 
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SM18 said:
    The mortgage is around 170k and I think the property is valued around 130-40k will this cause issues 
    How did you manage to lose that much over the last 18 months?
    I can see why you would want to walk away from the problem, but on those numbers, you owe £15-20k for your share of the shortfall and more for any early repayment penalty, do you have that money available?

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SM18 said:
    if these numbers are correct then yes....assuming he can get a 90% mortgage and the property value is £140k then £44k will need to be found on top to redeem the existing mortgage
    If the property was sold you would both be responsible to find the deficit.
    You mentioned transferring your share of the equity to him but it looks like this is a negative figure so can see what he would not be keen to take on your share of the debt

• SM18
    First Post
    Options
    We bought a polished turd in a bad area. 
  • SM18
    First Post
    Options
    I do not have the money, and he claims to be in debt (a lot) now
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SM18 said:
    I do not have the money, and he claims to be in debt (a lot) now
    Not being unkind, but he would be very unwise to accept your offer to transfer the equity and let you walk away from the negative equity...
    It seems likely that you are stuck with this mortgage for now.
    Are you still paying anything each month or is he covering the whole of the mortgage payment?.

• BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SM18 said:

I’ve offered to transfer my equity/share of mortgage to him and remove my self from the title deeds walking away with £0 just to get rid of him and anything to do with the house.
    So this is actually "I've offered to transfer my portion of the negative equity to him, walking away without my part of the debt"?

Not surprised that he said no - and I'd be very surprised if there was any way to force him to accept.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback