Pancking! Are these asbestos tiles which I discovered under my carpet

Options
So I was taking up the carpet in a bedroom using a standing knife to cut and accidentally ran my blade across these tiles which are around the chimney breast. I assume a fire maybe used to be here.

Are these tiles asbestos? Or could there be any concern around this area for asbestos material?
The house is from the 1930's.

I did not crack the tiles they were like that when I lifted the carpet. Worried if there was any asbestos dust from the cracks that got on the carpet when I lifted it though and I breathed it in. Also worried the standing knife would have scraped the tiles causing me to be exposed.

Not sure if I am panicking over nothing, but going to try and have lunch soon to calm me down! Had a shower bagged my clothes, closed the door and opened the window leaving the job unfinished

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They are ceramic tiles. Absolutely nothing to worry about.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,802 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So I was taking up the carpet in a bedroom using a standing knife to cut and accidentally ran my blade across these tiles which are around the chimney breast. I assume a fire maybe used to be here.

Are these tiles asbestos? Or could there be any concern around this area for asbestos material?

I did not crack the tiles they were like that when I lifted the carpet. Worried if there was any asbestos dust from the cracks that got on the carpet when I lifted it though and I breathed it in. Also worried the standing knife would have scraped the tiles causing me to be exposed.

Not sure if I am panicking over nothing, but going to try and have lunch soon to calm me down! Had a shower bagged my clothes, closed the door and opened the window leaving the job unfinished
    Asbestos cannot be ruled out just by looking at a photo, but the size and style is one I'd associate as more likely a ceramic tile than a type possibly containing asbestos.

Can you see how thick they are?
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    Options

They don't look like vinyl asbestos style tiles that I'm familiar with - and from the photo look like solid ceramic style tiles - so I'd say you're worrying over nothing. Even with asbestos tiles - there won't be fibres seeping through carpets and into the air for you to breathe. See what others say - but it's not something that would concern me in the slightest.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If that's an old hearth, there's a good chance they are ceramic tiles. However, as Section62 has said, you can't be 100% certain about asbestos from a photo.
  • AdventureRocks
    AdventureRocks Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Section62 said:

Asbestos cannot be ruled out just by looking at a photo, but the size and style is one I'd associate as more likely a ceramic tile than a type possibly containing asbestos.

Can you see how thick they are?

They look thin I think. If you look at the third one on the top row and zoom in a bit where it has cracked you can see the thickenss
  • AdventureRocks
    Options
    thank you for everyone getting back to me.

What is the best way to proceed? Should I send a piece for testing? Or just carry on and get one of those heavy-duty vacuum cleaners when I have finished to give them a good vacuum. Do I need to get the carpet backing off them as well or can they just throw the overlay on top so I do not have to disturb them..
  • AdventureRocks
    Options
    Also do I need to worry if the grout and adhesive would contain it?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,645 Forumite
    Options
    They are without doubt ceramic tiles you have nothing to worry about.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There will be no asbestos in the tiles ,cement or grout BUT as they are covered by the carpet there is no chance of any danger to your health ,relax and enjoy your house.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • AdventureRocks
    Options
    Ganga said:
    There will be no asbestos in the tiles ,cement or grout BUT as they are covered by the carpet there is no chance of any danger to your health ,relax and enjoy your house.
    Thanks for the confirmation appreciate it 

I have taken the carpet up today which was a right pain as the backing was sticking to the floor boards in places. Needs a good vacuum which I will do in next few days and then will be ready for a new carpet to be fitted now by the carpet shop guys 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback