TV License refund query for over 75 payment

Options

Hi

I’m looking for some advice on claiming a refund for a TV License which was paid in error.

Towards the end of last year, , I discovered my relative had paid for a TV License for several years unnecessarily. Due to being over 75 and in receipt of Pension Credit, he had been eligible for an over 75 free license for some time.

As they were moving from their house to a Nursing Home, their current TV License was cancelled with no refund pursued as the house move was taking all the family’s time.

I contacted TV Licensing recently requesting the payment made in error to be refunded, attaching evidence of my relative’s eligibility for an Over 75 License.

I then received a reply stating “Refunds can only be given on the unused complete months left on a TV licence”

I now feel a bit unsure how to proceed.

My relative paid for the license for over 2 years over the age of 75 in receipt of Pension Credit. All of this I can provide evidence for.

However, given the reply I have received and further reading online, I’m not sure the refund policy will address the years of mistaken payment.

Applying for an Over 75 License would provide a refund for the overpayment , but as my relative has now moved to a Nursing Home, a TV License is no longer needed.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 March at 10:21AM
    Options
    If your relative has a TV in his room, he should have the concessionary £7.50 license because the care home TV licence generally only covers the TVs in the communal areas.  
    Would applying for that not then allow him to get the refund? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

... Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

I would follow the complaints process stated on the TVL website.   It's possible, though, that because of the way the Over 75s Licence was historically funded that it isn't part of the general principle that refunds in the case of Licence errors are available for up to 2 years.  
  • Are_You_Awake
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I did some further reading and I believe they will qualify for a free ARK license as they are over the age of 75.

We asked about the TV License when they moved in and were informed the home would sort that out.

The same form also has a section about refunds for existing paid licenses, but as I cancelled the license beforehand - I'm not sure it applies.

I have a refund form and it states this at the bottom:

I think I can only obtain a refund through the concessionary application process.

If the home has already applied for an ARC License then I'm not sure this is an option. They also can't apply for a refund as they don't have any information regarding the previous license.

Maybe the complaints process is the best way forward as suggested - the license was only cancelled within the last 6 months.

Thanks again for the posts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure