Electric Toothbrushes for family use

Options
sobeitjedi
sobeitjedi Posts: 172 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 18 March at 1:24PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Hi

I'm sure this has been asked before (apologies if it has), but what's a good electric toothbrush for 5 people (two adults, three kids)?

We currently have a Braun IO 7 but the battery is dreadful. We get maybe 2/3 days usage. The heads are very expensive too.

So on the lookout for a new one, with some requirements ...
1) Does a great job of cleaning (not bothered about different cleaning settings)
2) Longer battery life, quick to charge and low battery indicator
3) Cheaper heads (and individually identifiable by colour or symbol)
4) Pressure indicator
5) Two minutes brush completion signal. Would like it to be quiet too, but maybe that's pushing it?

Any recommendations?

Comments

• baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Five people, twice daily brushing, not sure you’d expect more than 3 days between charging? 
    Try the Oral B range but shop around as they’re often on offer in supermarkets
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Boots sometimes do offers on Duo packs of Oral B brushes, might be worth having a look on the Boots site or on Amazon for Duo packs so you'd have more than one handle between 5 people 😳
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Also, every Tuesday Boots do a £10 offer and it almost always includes a pack of 4 Oral B brush heads (non iO range) 
  • sobeitjedi
    Options
    sstevo19 said:
    Also, every Tuesday Boots do a £10 offer and it almost always includes a pack of 4 Oral B brush heads (non iO range) 
    The non-IO range don't fit the IO brush
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 March at 2:00PM
    Options
    Sharing a single handle between 5 doesn't sound very hygienic!

Personally I'd get 5 of the Oral B Pro 3 so you can have one each - they're available as singles or as twin packs in various colours and take the normal Oral B heads (that are usually on offer somewhere).

I have a white one of these and it ticks all your boxes in terms of requirements.

Oral-B Pro 3 2x Electric Toothbrushes For Adults, Mothers Day Gifts For Her / Him, 2 Handles & 2 Cross Action Toothbrush Heads, 3 Modes, Teeth Whitening, 2 Pin Plug, 3900, Black & Pink https://amzn.eu/d/axWr6Dd

Also worth a look in Boots as they're often on offer there too.

• sobeitjedi
    edited 18 March at 2:07PM
    Options
    We each have our own brush head, how is that not hygenic?
    Buying 5 separate toothbrushes at £70 (£350 in total) is not even worth contemplating sorry.
    Besides, it's enough to charge one brush, let alone 5 individual brushes.

Emmia said:

Personally I'd get 5 of the Oral B Pro 3 so you can have one each - they're available as singles or as twin packs in various colours and take the normal Oral B heads (that are usually on offer somewhere).

I have a white one of these and it ticks all your boxes in terms of requirements.

Oral-B Pro 3 2x Electric Toothbrushes For Adults, Mothers Day Gifts For Her / Him, 2 Handles & 2 Cross Action Toothbrush Heads, 3 Modes, Teeth Whitening, 2 Pin Plug, 3900, Black & Pink https://amzn.eu/d/axWr6Dd

• Emmia
    edited 18 March at 2:14PM
    Options
    Buying 5 seperate toothbrushes at £70 (£350 in total) is not even worth contemplating sorry.

Emmia said:

Personally I think it's a bit grim to share the handle, saliva etc will flow down from the head

Also, that's a twin pack I linked to, they're £35 each (£70 for the pack) you'd need 2 twin packs and a single (singles of that type seem to be about £45) so £185 ish in total, not £350.

Cheaper Oral B brushes are available but don't have all the features you desire, like this at £25 (5 of those are £125) but there's no pressure sensor.

Oral-B Vitality 100 CrossAction https://amzn.eu/d/8sGMJPo
  • sobeitjedi
    edited 18 March at 2:15PM
    Options
    Emmia said:
    Buying 5 seperate toothbrushes at £70 (£350 in total) is not even worth contemplating sorry.

Emmia said:

Personally I think it's a bit grim to share the handle, saliva etc will flow down from the head

Also, that's a twin pack I linked to, they're £35 each (£70 for the pack) you'd need 2 twin packs and a single (singles of that type seem to be about £45) so £185 ish in total, not £350.

Cheaper Oral B brushes are available but don't have all the features you desire, like this at £25 (but 5 of those are more than the option outlined above)

Thanks, but the handle does get washed. 
    I may stay clear from Oral B altogether. Bought lots of their brushes over 20 years and they've never really lasted or impressed. Charging is poor and they are so loud. 
  • Emmia
    edited 18 March at 2:23PM
    Options
    Emmia said:

Emmia said:

Cheaper Oral B brushes are available but don't have all the features you desire, like this at £25 (but 5 of those are more than the option outlined above)

Thanks, but the handle does get washed. 
    I may stay clear from Oral B altogether. Bought lots of their brushes over 20 years and they've never really lasted or impressed. Charging is poor and they are so loud. 
    Honestly I think you'll struggle to get cheaper electric options than standard oral B unless you're willing to go for some knock off option from Temu or somewhere like that.

The sonicare from Phillips and the Oral B IO are both much more expensive.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Add a water flosser to your shopping list, wish I had bought one years ago,a great improvement to dental hygiene.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback