Beware of the free GMX email accounts abruptly blocked by GMX for no reason.

A few years ago there was a thread here with the name name as mine and I was hoping to add my recent experience there, but unfortunately the old thread has been closed.

I've had a free GMX email account for about 15 years and up to recently I was happy with it. Then, about a month ago I encountered a small technical problem with using GMX. It didn't stop me using the main thing, sending and receiving email. It just stopped me generating "alias" addresses which I previously had no problem with. So I created a support ticket requesting GMX investigate this problem. To my absolute astonishment, within 24 hours of creating this ticket my access to GMX email was totally blocked causing me a disaster with my being unable to use the GMX system. However, they didn't bother to inform me the reason for blocking my account. 
I spent the following couple weeks contacting them asking as to why they had wrecked my access to email. Their responses were totally unacceptable and basically lies, claiming they had no idea at all why my account had been blocked and they needed significant time to investigate why my account had been blocked. For the next couple of weeks or so these lies went on causing me disaster in my life being unable to read or send mail though GMX. 
Finally, a few days ago, I discovered they had unblocked my account but again without bothering to inform me. So I once again asked them (as I had done numerous times over the weeks) as to why they had blocked my account and why they had suddenly unblocked and refused to give me a reason either.
Finally a couple of days ago they stated the reason for the block was that the first staff member who viewed my ticket decided to instantly block my account. Apparently one alias name I had tried to add was unacceptable to them. They have refused to tell me which alias name or names it was. Certainly any alias names I would ever create (or have ever created) wouldn't contain foul language or any similar things. Now, even though they have finally unblocked my main account, they have actually blocked my ability to create or use alias names. As has been their usual practice, so far they have refused to tell me what alias names were unacceptable.Their usual practice is kicking in of deliberately withholding key information from me.

So the bottom line for me is to warn people that GMX appear to have a lot of corrupt staff who may decide to arbitrarily block customers from using GMX email refusing to give reason for weeks and leaving the block on for a totally unacceptable time. Anyone using (or thinking of using) GMX should beware of them. If nothing else, I suggest GMX users have available an alternative email provider to give them at least some ability to use email if GMX abruptly block their account the for weeks and refuse to give a reason.

Reginald Molehusband

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,759
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I understand your anger, but, on the flip side I've never had any trouble from GMX in all the years of using them.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,703
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A few years ago there was a thread here with the name name as mine and I was hoping to add my recent experience there, but unfortunately the old thread has been closed.

I've had a free GMX email account for about 15 years and up to recently I was happy with it. Then, about a month ago I encountered a small technical problem with using GMX. It didn't stop me using the main thing, sending and receiving email. It just stopped me generating "alias" addresses which I previously had no problem with. So I created a support ticket requesting GMX investigate this problem. To my absolute astonishment, within 24 hours of creating this ticket my access to GMX email was totally blocked causing me a disaster with my being unable to use the GMX system. However, they didn't bother to inform me the reason for blocking my account. 
    I spent the following couple weeks contacting them asking as to why they had wrecked my access to email. Their responses were totally unacceptable and basically lies, claiming they had no idea at all why my account had been blocked and they needed significant time to investigate why my account had been blocked. For the next couple of weeks or so these lies went on causing me disaster in my life being unable to read or send mail though GMX. 
    Finally, a few days ago, I discovered they had unblocked my account but again without bothering to inform me. So I once again asked them (as I had done numerous times over the weeks) as to why they had blocked my account and why they had suddenly unblocked and refused to give me a reason either.
    Finally a couple of days ago they stated the reason for the block was that the first staff member who viewed my ticket decided to instantly block my account. Apparently one alias name I had tried to add was unacceptable to them. They have refused to tell me which alias name or names it was. Certainly any alias names I would ever create (or have ever created) wouldn't contain foul language or any similar things. Now, even though they have finally unblocked my main account, they have actually blocked my ability to create or use alias names. As has been their usual practice, so far they have refused to tell me what alias names were unacceptable.Their usual practice is kicking in of deliberately withholding key information from me.

So the bottom line for me is to warn people that GMX appear to have a lot of corrupt staff who may decide to arbitrarily block customers from using GMX email refusing to give reason for weeks and leaving the block on for a totally unacceptable time. Anyone using (or thinking of using) GMX should beware of them. If nothing else, I suggest GMX users have available an alternative email provider to give them at least some ability to use email if GMX abruptly block their account the for weeks and refuse to give a reason.

What percentage of their staff have your discovered to be corrupt?

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,272
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Perhaps the alias they objected to was accidentally offensive in German.
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 513
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Plenty of alternative free email addresses , pick one (or pick two)

What do you use aliases for?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,095
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd demand my money back!
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,424
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    prowla said:
    I'd demand my money back!
    I'd demand my money back and open another, completely free, GMX account.

That'll properly show them!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure