Woodchip removal dust concerns

I want to rid a couple of bedrooms of woodchip wallpaper and can not face doing it myself. The house is built in the 1920s.

I have a few quotes and they are around a grand for each room which includes the removal of all wallpaper from all walls including the ceiling, sanding + filling with a dustless sander, and putting wallrock liner paper on for a smooth finish and if walls can not be made perfect without a full plaste + painting. Also includes woodwork but I might get new skirtings and doors + wood flooring so not decided on that yet.

I am worried about how much dust will end up in the house even though they are using a professional dustless sander. Would it be a lot still or barely anything?

Also concerned when they take the woodchip off the ceiling if it could be asbestos material underneath and they sand. Would it be clear to a pro if it was an asbestos-free material such as plasterboard etc or something more sinister?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,232
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    AdventureRocks said: Also concerned when they take the woodchip off the ceiling if it could be asbestos material underneath and they sand. Would it be clear to a pro if it was an asbestos-free material such as plasterboard etc or something more sinister?
    Woodchip is often used to cover up cracks in the plaster. I wouldn't normally expect to see artex under the woodchip. Probably find the ceilings are the original lath & lime plaster, so no real risk of asbestos. Good chance that lumps of plaster will come down when the woodchip is removed- Had some come down when I stripped the stairwell of woodchip here (1229 semi).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • AdventureRocks
    AdventureRocks Posts: 172
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    FreeBear said:
    AdventureRocks said: Also concerned when they take the woodchip off the ceiling if it could be asbestos material underneath and they sand. Would it be clear to a pro if it was an asbestos-free material such as plasterboard etc or something more sinister?
    Woodchip is often used to cover up cracks in the plaster. I wouldn't normally expect to see artex under the woodchip. Probably find the ceilings are the original lath & lime plaster, so no real risk of asbestos. Good chance that lumps of plaster will come down when the woodchip is removed- Had some come down when I stripped the stairwell of woodchip here (1229 semi).

Thanks appreciate the info! The guy who has quoted said it will be a grand for a middle size bedroom and a little under for a box room and he can do small bits of plastering if required included in the quote. Did you just touch your up with the bits of plaster which came down ?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,232
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    AdventureRocks said: Did you just touch your up with the bits of plaster which came down ?
    <Ahem> Nope.
    Removed the plaster from all the walls and ceiling, insulated where needed, fixed plasterboard up, and had the whole lot skimmed. The lad that did the plastering made a pretty poor job of it, despite claiming to be a professional. Looking at it, I thought "I can do better", and enrolled on a short course being run by the local adult education department (free of charge).
    Went on to remove woodchip paper from the hallway, uncovering loads of cracks in the process. As I was replacing the heating system, taking that ceiling down made access to the pipework much easier. More plasterboard put up, and skimmed it myself (and yes, it was a much better job).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback