Tax returns as self employed but I didn't work in the last years. Can I still do it?

thinfatwhiteduke
thinfatwhiteduke Posts: 69
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
Hi everyone. I'm self employed and I'm about to do my tax returns. Unfortunately in the last two years due to health issues I was not able to work and I was supported by my parents. So when I will have to specify profit and expenses, it will be 0 on both voices. Am I still allowed to do my tax returns or I have to remove myself as self employed? I would like to pay my national insurance contribution.

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 9,937
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone. I'm self employed and I'm about to do my tax returns. Unfortunately in the last two years due to health issues I was not able to work and I was supported by my parents. So when I will have to specify profit and expenses, it will be 0 on both voices. Am I still allowed to do my tax returns or I have to remove myself as self employed? I would like to pay my national insurance contribution.
    If you've been self employed for some time, and been submitting tax returns for previous years, then unless you've been told by HMRC that you don't need to submit a self assessment tax return, then it isn't a case of being 'allowed' to do it - you need to. It's odd that you've not received reminders/been fined for failing to submit a previous year's return on time.

Have you looked at your personal tax account recently?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,617
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do oyu intend to resume self emplyment?

If you have ceased self employment you can tick the relevant box on the return and HMRC will close your self assessment account.

You would then have to make voluntary National Insurance payments unless you were in receipt of any benefits that gave you NI credits.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 12,735
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sheramber said:
    Do oyu intend to resume self emplyment?

If you have ceased self employment you can tick the relevant box on the return and HMRC will close your self assessment account.

You would then have to make voluntary National Insurance payments unless you were in receipt of any benefits that gave you NI credits.
    I suspect the op is wanting to take advantage of being able pay voluntary Class 2 NI via the Self Assessment route.

Which might still be a valid option 🤔
  • I forgot to mention that I've also lived abroad in the last two years. Am I still allowed to do it? Last year I did it.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,384
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I forgot to mention that I've also lived abroad in the last two years. Am I still allowed to do it? Last year I did it.
    I understand there are specific rules for ex-pats making voluntary NI payments.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback