Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay my colleagues £500 for looking after their house and cats?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 19 December 2023 at 3:51PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Two colleagues, who are a couple, were going travelling for a few months and asked me to house-sit for them and look after their two cats. We didn't discuss money, but they presented it as a way of reducing the cost of my commute (which was true) so I agreed. When they returned, they asked me to pay them £500, saying it wasn't much for three months' rent. I'd assumed that if anything, they'd want to give me something for looking after their house and cats. I don't want to pay, but also don't want to make things difficult at work. What should I do?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    need more info - if it reduces cost of commute - what about where the poster was living before?

this smacks of not enough talk beforehand of what was included ( electricity water etc ) and what wasn't.

I can't see either side of this entering into an agreement without talking through first
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 960 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2023 at 4:15PM
    Options
    I once rented my flat out to a mate, whilst I courted a new girlfriend who lived miles away, I got a job in her town. his rent money paid my mortgage, cheap flat, cheap rent,  ex council flat i bought in Scotland. it wasn't done via the books or a tenancy agreement.

I had a cat, he looked after it for me, cat food. I got serious with new girlfriend, and I said I was selling up and going to live with her permanently.he became nasty and stopped paying me rent .
     one day  I said he had to go I had a buyer. he owed me about 2 months of rent by then.
    I went to flat expecting an argument, but he had gone, left me an old acoustic guitar and a note saying  I fed your cat and watched her for 6 months, that should cover the missed rent .
    we never spoke again and I never saw him ever again.
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    A start point would be 3 months cat sitting @ 250 = £3250.
    Assuming that you saved or avoided housing costs then offset whatever your housing savings were x 13 weeks.

• subjecttocontract
    Options
    What's the problem with saying NO ?
    Perhaps tell them you want them to pay you £500 for the extra work and that cancels it out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback