Lidl ham with 'best before' date

I'm just making my lunch for work tomorrow and have opened a pack of sliced ham from Lidl that has a best before date of 22nd October. I'm sure it will be ok to eat tomorrow (24th), but I'm just a bit surprised by the 'best before' rather than 'use by' date. Is this usual for Lidl? I thought all cold cuts of meat would have a Use By date?? Surely if I'd left it for a couple of weeks unopened, it wouldn't be safe to eat?

Comments

• DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ok - answering my own question. It's proscuitto which apparently can last up to two years in it's original sealed packaging. Who knew? I certainly didn't! 
    I think this will be due to all of the processing that it goes through before it hits the shelves. Same for ham.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DigSunPap said:
    Ok - answering my own question. It's proscuitto which apparently can last up to two years in it's original sealed packaging. Who knew? I certainly didn't! 
    I think this will be due to all of the processing that it goes through before it hits the shelves. Same for ham.
    Although in the case of proscuitto most of the processing will be the traditional curing process as it has been for hundreds of years. It was designed to keep meat before we had fridges.
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jon81uk said:
    DigSunPap said:
    Although in the case of proscuitto most of the processing will be the traditional curing process as it has been for hundreds of years. It was designed to keep meat before we had fridges.
    Very true - hence why it is a little more pricey but the quality is much better
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback