Money Moral Dilemma: My son's friend borrowed his bike and it got stolen - should his parents pay?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 19 September 2023 at 1:40PM in Public transport & cycling
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My son cycled to a friend's house and left his bike there - his friend agreed to store it so my son could collect it a few days later. In the meantime, his friend borrowed it to pop into town, left it unlocked outside a shop for five minutes and it was stolen. The bike cost £350, was two years old and wasn't covered by my contents insurance. Should I ask the parents of my son's friend to replace it, as he borrowed it without permission and didn't lock it up, or do I replace it as his friend obviously didn't intend for it to be stolen?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How old are said kids? 

• bluelad1927
    Options
     I think the owner needs to take responsibility  for the bike accepting any risks whilst it is not in their possession
  • roubiliac
    Options
    Shouldn’t have left it with his friend
  • Giraffe76
    Options
    I doubt the son thought his friend would borrow it but as he did then the friend should assume responsibility as he was the one that was using it when it was stolen. The fact that it was only for 5 minutes doesn't matter. Like someone has said I'd like to know the age of the son and friend as that would be able to give us a bit more clarity to the situation but with the information we have I'd either be trying to get the whole cost of the bike back or maybe if they want to keep the peace then ask to go halves as a compromise 
  • HannahNP
    Options
    Your son's friend definitely need to replace the bike. 
    Either themselves or their parents. 
    Responsibility is a value needs to be learn at any age.  
    Being accountable for their mistakes can safe them fir bigger things later.
    They took the bike without permission and didn't bother to look after it 
  • PadreM
    Options
    YES......!
  • Jason9091
    Options
    A mistake was made when the decision was taken to not insure the bike.

A second mistake was made when the bike was left with someone young/careless/unreliable.

A third mistake was made when the bike wasnot locked up while unattended.

You have to way up these factors. It also depends on the age of the children.
  • Penelope_Gib
    Options
    Split the bill. These things happen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family