Electric BBQ that can do an okay job with pizzas?

Options
Hi, we would love to start cooking and eating outside more - I've been considering getting a bbq and also a pizza oven, so I'm wondering if there's something out there which can do a reasonable job of both?

I have a strong preference for electric too if possible, since we have solar panels, so it should be both a bit better for the environment but also I'm guessing easier than messing around with gas or wood/charcoal etc. The Ninja Woodfire was tempting but it looks like it only gets up to 240 degrees which possibly isn't ideal for pizzas? 

The alternative would be to pickup just a basic/cheap electric bbq, and then get a gas powered Ooni. Would welcome any recommendations, thanks :)

Comments

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we have just bought a Ninja woodfire and I was looking at some of the FB pages and they are showing pizzas cooked on it and everyone says they taste amazing so maybe take a look there and see if that helps 

btw ninja goes up to 260 degrees C which is hotter than most ovens 
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you! :) That was our number one choice but wasn’t sure about the pizza thing - I’ll take a look! Either way I guess it’s probably our best option, and if we really get into making pizzas we can buy a separate one later on
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 June 2023 at 12:46PM
    Options
    The ninja only goes to 260 so not really hot enough for a great pizza although hotter than some ovens.

I know you want electric but I doubt you will be able to get to the 400/450 degrees that wood fired ovens do, and you won’t have the great taste to them either.

Personally for me, a bbq is a bbq and a pizza oven is a pizza oven. I use my barbecue for barbecuing food and I I use my wood fired oven for pizzas and slow cooking or roasting etc
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • toby3210
    toby3210 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've used the ninja too and think its great
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,395 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    I know you want electric but I doubt you will be able to get to the 400/450 degrees that wood fired ovens do, and you won’t have the great taste to them either.
    Electric ovens can easily get to that and higher. Many ovens these days have "pyrolytic" cleaning which is them going to 500C+ and our clay oven (electric) goes to 1,320C.

Wouldnt recommend it but when pyro cleaning first came about there were plenty of people posting on how to jimmy the mechanism to be able to open the door during the cycle and use it as a pizza oven. 
  • sarah1972
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    Electric ovens can easily get to that and higher. Many ovens these days have "pyrolytic" cleaning which is them going to 500C+ and our clay oven (electric) goes to 1,320C.

Wouldnt recommend it but when pyro cleaning first came about there were plenty of people posting on how to jimmy the mechanism to be able to open the door during the cycle and use it as a pizza oven. 
    I have a pyrolytic Neff but firstly you can’t open the door as it’s locked during cleaning, secondly there are no racks in it during cleaning and thirdly anyone who throws a pizza on an oven floor while it’s covered in all the burnt on oven mess is totally off their head. 

Never seen an electric oven that goes over 450 degrees but I bow to your knowledge on that one. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,395 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    sarah1972 said:

I have a pyrolytic Neff but firstly you can’t open the door as it’s locked during cleaning, secondly there are no racks in it during cleaning and thirdly anyone who throws a pizza on an oven floor while it’s covered in all the burnt on oven mess is totally off their head. 

Never seen an electric oven that goes over 450 degrees but I bow to your knowledge on that one. 
    As I said, not recommending it nor have done it but there are tutorials out there on how to stop the door locking. Presumably if you are using it for cooking rather than cleaning then you'd have cleaned the oven first.

With our oven the racks stay in during the pyrolytic cleaning but either way I'd be likely to use a pizza stone (or one from the clay oven) anyway.

Wasn't saying they are commercially available for making pizza but saying an electric oven cannot reach those temps is wrong.

Our clay oven's lid doesn't lock, even at 1,320C, and so was tempted to see what I could do but its a top loader making getting the pizza in.out more difficult and the Mrs would probably kill me
  • sarah1972
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    sarah1972 said:

Wasn't saying they are commercially available for making pizza but saying an electric oven cannot reach those temps is wrong.

I never said they weren’t available commercially? I’ve never seen a home oven that goes that high but would be interested in one if you have a link? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback