The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Council fund rebate for disabilities

My council has agreed a backdated refund of 6 years for disabilities of myself and my husband. They have decided though to keep most of the rebate and pay off our council tax for 2023-4 in advance so that we have no bills this year. There is about £350 left over that they will credit to our bank account. I am very angry about this, as I was told verbally that we would get the money paid to our bank account with no mention of advance payments. I might add, we have never missed a payment ever. Can I challenge this decision …. There was no discussion with us. My husband is terminally ill, and to be honest will not last more than a few months now, and I need the money to go towards his funeral which I am desperately saving for. When he does pass, they will need to alter our payment yet again to a single person. What a mess. Can anyone advise please?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 May 2023 at 3:56PM
    The council are quite correct in what they are doing.

What many people do not realise is that the CT payment for the year is actually due on the 1 April of that financial year, but councils allow CT payers to spread the payment over the year.. So what would appear to be an overpayment is in fact a credit against your outstanding CT account.

However given the circumstances, you should try to speak to a Senior Revenues Officer (or similar) and explain the situation. I cannot guarantee, but am fairly certain they will refund the overpayment to your bank account. If they do not I would suggest you ask your local councillor to intervene.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Godiva500
    Godiva500 Posts: 443
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for your reply .
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

What many people do not realise is that the CT payment for the year is actually due on the 1 April of that financial year, but councils allow CT payers to spread the payment over the year.. So what would appear to be an overpayment is in fact a credit against your outstanding CT account.

However given the circumstances, you should try to speak to a Senior Revenues Officer (or similar) and explain the situation. I cannot guarantee, but am fairly certain they will refund the overpayment to your bank account. If they do not I would suggest you ask your local councillor to intervene.
    There is currently no overpayment. 
  • lincroft1710
    Forumite

There is currently no overpayment. 
    There was an overpayment, the difference between what was actually paid and what should have been paid with the disabilities allowance.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Godiva500
    Godiva500 Posts: 443
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    All sorted now. Thanks for the advice.
    I  just phoned them …. After a bit of an argument and a few tears, they are refunding the money to my bank account . Thanks all xx
  • lincroft1710
    Forumite
    Godiva500 said:
    All sorted now. Thanks for the advice.
    I  just phoned them …. After a bit of an argument and a few tears, they are refunding the money to my bank account . Thanks all xx
    There really shouldn't have been an argument, the council should have understood your position and acted sympathetically, especially as the refund was due to the disabilities of the CT payer (yourself). It isn't as if they're giving money away. 
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 May 2023 at 3:03PM
    Sorry to hear about your situation. If there are only two of you in the property, then it's possible that you can get a disregard if your husband qualifies as SMI (for example, if he suffers from PD or Alzheimers). If he comes into this category, you will qualify for the 25% SPD on your C tax.
    Is he receiving AA at the higher rate? With a less than 12m terminal diagnosis, he would qualify under the  'special rules', and the claim would be prioritised.
    PS: you will need to claim the SPD in due course, it won't be automatically applied.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure