Birthday 'do' - how to pay?

Options
I'm having a 'do' (informal) at a local lounge and I'd like to buy all attendees a drink. Problem (for me ) is - how to do it!

My best idea so far is for people on arrival to use my card (I trust and know them all) to get theirs, save me queueing up every time someone arrives!

Any better ideas welcomed!
Now not a gainfully employed bassist.

Comments

• The_Unready
    The_Unready Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you put your card behind the bar at the venue and tell all your invitees to mention your name to the bar staff, after which they'll add the drink to your tab?

By the way - don't search on this forum for the discussion about whether or not it is good practice to put your card behind the bar! ☹️
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    RobM99 said:
    I'm having a 'do' (informal) at a local lounge and I'd like to buy all attendees a drink. Problem (for me ) is - how to do it!

My best idea so far is for people on arrival to use my card (I trust and know them all) to get theirs, save me queueing up every time someone arrives!

Any better ideas welcomed!
    Speak to the lounge about how they operate their tabs... many places will give you some card or number or key etc and to add to the tab you should show these to add to the tab (though some will just take the number verbally). Then you just give the new comer the tab card and so no need to go with them etc.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Options
    Accompany each attendee to order their drink.  Saves anyone not with your party ordering drinks at your expense.
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    baser999 said:
    Accompany each attendee to order their drink.  Saves anyone not with your party ordering drinks at your expense.
    I might as well queue and buy them - or am I missing something?
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you know how many are going could you times this by the average drink price and add a little contingency and pay  beforehand? If you trust them enough to use your card presumably you trust them enough to not order multiple drinks. Perhaps with invitations send out a "voucher" so the bar staff know to charge to your tab rather than buying randoms free drinks.
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • RobM99
    Options
    If you know how many are going could you times this by the average drink price and add a little contingency and pay  beforehand? If you trust them enough to use your card presumably you trust them enough to not order multiple drinks. Perhaps with invitations send out a "voucher" so the bar staff know to charge to your tab rather than buying randoms free drinks.
    Good idea!!
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 March 2023 at 5:49PM
    Options
    I wouldn't let them use your card. You might trust them but they may not know each other and the card could end up being given to someone who they think knows you. You won't have any comeback if you've let people use your card. Also, people arriving will have to wait for the card to be passed around everyone else that's waiting before they can get their drink.

You could do it the old fashioned way and give cash to people to buy their drinks with.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2023 at 7:30PM
    Options
    RobM99 said:
    baser999 said:
    I might as well queue and buy them - or am I missing something?
    Exactly. I’ve attended a function where a card was left behind for ‘Fred’s party’ and a crowd in the next room got wise to it and started ordering drinks for their own party. 
  • RobM99
    Options
    Thanks all, plenty of options there. I'll think on it, obviously!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I went to a wedding years ago where the food was a BBQ in the grounds of a pub (days when getting married at chuch/registry office and having venue elsewhere were only options) but non wedding guests could also buy the bbq food. All wedding guests were given a slip of paper each that they presented to get their food for free. (paid for by wedding party). That stopped non wedding party guests also getting free food and the wedding guests  could only go up once and hand their slip in, otherwise it was at their expense.  

Talking to the venue on the best approach I think is the way forward, it's unlikely they haven't come across this before and will suggest how to proceed.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback