EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we report neighbours who are in the 'wrong' council tax band?

edited 14 February at 3:52PM in Reclaiming mortgage fees, council tax, etc
58 replies 42.6K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
293 Posts
Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
MSE Staff
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

We found out we're in a higher council tax band than some bigger, more expensive properties on our street, so asked for our band to be reassessed. We were told it wouldn't be lowered, and were asked to indicate which houses on our street are in a lower band so they could be reassessed! There's not much to be gained by grassing up our neighbours, but we're annoyed we're paying a higher rate when they have larger, pricier homes. Should we say which houses are in a lower band so we might at least one day benefit from the extra council tax paid?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.


  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Entirely up to you! Considering the increase in CT paid will be infinitesimal in comparison with the amount of CT a council collects, you're unlikely to see any "benefits"

    If any of these houses have been extended by the current owners after 1 April 1993, then the CT bands cannot be increased.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • edited 14 February at 6:58PM
    SlinkySlinky Forumite
    9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 14 February at 6:58PM
    We extended our previous home in 2010, done with full planning permission, which when other people on the same street did it moved their house from E to F when the house sold. Somehow the council have screwed up and forgot to put an improvement marker on our house, so the people who bought it from us are still in band E. We made enough changes that it should have been rebanded. It's been like that for nearly 4 years now.
    Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £91.45, Prolific: to 31/5/23 £430.30,Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £4.97, Interest: Jan-Apr £21.72,Chase CB £49.07, Chase roundup interest 18p, WeBuyBooks:£8.37,Ebay sales: £256.02, Facebook marketplace sales: £105, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100
    Total: £1308.11/£2023  64.66%
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Absolutely not! Leave well alone, it's the Councils business to run their affairs not yours, and you could potentially bring a huge poo storm on yourself if your neighbours found out who'd initiated the change
  • retired19retired19 Forumite
    10 Posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    No the council know what they charge other people. Just because you're upset why take it out on other innocent people?
  • beancounter_2beancounter_2 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Tell the council to do the job they are paid for and not to be recruiting neighbourhood spies!
  • colintomlinson82colintomlinson82 Forumite
    3 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    This is nonsense, surely the council would know what band your neighbours were in
  • ShebearShebear Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts
    I think I would leave well alone. Indeed, the council should know what bands the people in your road are in. You have found out what band you should be in and their circumstances may be very diiferent to yours. we actually got a refund because we queried our band, as ours was higher than all our neighbours, and the rules stated that we had to be compared to neighbours who had very similar homes. Maybe your neighbours' homes are not identical to yours?
  • Sandy86Sandy86 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    Is this even a question right now in a cost of living crisis? The council know what they charge people and they're quick to remind you if there is an issue!

    What do you gain from this? A sense of it's only fair? Prioritise your relationships with the people around you over having them pay the same as you. You don't know their individual circumstances. For all you know they are on the brink of collapse. How would you feel then? The real issues are at the top. Stop looking across from yourself and start looking up. Some of this is ideological. Unless your neighbour is in government, it's not their fault.
  • GosportmumGosportmum Forumite
    11 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    They might be house rich, but cash poor.
    How would you feel if a neighbour did it to you? 
    You've highlighted to the council that there's a potential banding issue, it's up to them to investigate not you.
  • simonr91simonr91 Forumite
    5 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If I suddenly find my CT has increased and been rebanded then I know who you are
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum