Internet Routers - Don't turn them off?

2»

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ecraig said:
    My BT router firmware was last updated in October. Before that was February.
    I'd have no worries in turning off my router for the sake of missing 2 firmware updates per year. Which probably actually happened during the daytime. 
    You appear to be missing the December update. Updates on those happen between 0200 and 0400 typically.
  • ecraig
    ecraig Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    400ixl said:
    ecraig said:
    My BT router firmware was last updated in October. Before that was February.
    I'd have no worries in turning off my router for the sake of missing 2 firmware updates per year. Which probably actually happened during the daytime. 
    You appear to be missing the December update. Updates on those happen between 0200 and 0400 typically.
    But how is this possible since I never turn my router off??
    Clearly they don't follow their schedule!
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    propnut said:
    Nonsense. I have been a network engineer for over 35 years and have worked for some of the biggest names in the industry. Only very poorly designed devices will end up with a firmware corruption from repeated shutting down. The guys at the call centres have all the knowledge of a 5 year old. 

My home network gear consumes 50w/hour because it is industry grade. As a result I have all components on a smart plug that turns them off every night at 0:01 and back on at 6:00am.
    Tbf proper enterprise kit isn't designed to be repeatedly power cycled as they're meant to go onto DCs

Stuff that enterprises sent to homes though? Nah

We used to send Cisco 887s to SMEs and a bunch of then would both pay for monitoring AND turn the router physically off
  • propnut
    propnut Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 January 2023 at 6:22PM
    propnut said:
    Nonsense. I have been a network engineer for over 35 years and have worked for some of the biggest names in the industry. Only very poorly designed devices will end up with a firmware corruption from repeated shutting down. The guys at the call centres have all the knowledge of a 5 year old. 

My home network gear consumes 50w/hour because it is industry grade. As a result I have all components on a smart plug that turns them off every night at 0:01 and back on at 6:00am.
    Tbf proper enterprise kit isn't designed to be repeatedly power cycled as they're meant to go onto DCs

Stuff that enterprises sent to homes though? Nah

We used to send Cisco 887s to SMEs and a bunch of then would both pay for monitoring AND turn the router physically off
    I was a Senior Systems Engjneer for Cisco based out of their Bedfont lakes offices for 9 years. There is a very big difference between data centre gear like a Nexus 9000 chassis and an SME product like an 887.

Enterprise does NOT necessarily mean DC it can be any equipment purchased by an Enterprise including kit for SOHO deployment which is the subject matter here and once again turning it off once a day is well within the safety margins for this kit.
    15 x JASolar 405w Panels installed 25/11/22, 5 SE,  5S,  5SW
    2 x Growatt Inverters
    6 x Uhome LFP2400 batteries
    Luxpower ACS 3600 Battery Inverter
    7.2KW of off grid Lead Acid storage with 8KW 24v Inverter.
    2 x. Toyota Prius
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure