MSE News: Mortgage support expanded to help those struggling with payments

MSE_Kit
MSE_Kit Posts: 86 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 17 November 2022 at 5:37PM in Mortgages & endowments
More homeowners who are struggling with mortgage repayments will be eligible for state support from next year, the Government has announced. From spring 2023, access to the 'support for mortgage interest' scheme will be expanded – meaning you might be able to get help covering the interest element of your mortgage repayments if you're struggling.

Read the full story: 

'Chancellor's Autumn Statement 2022: Mortgage support expanded to help those struggling with payments'

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Again  is help for people with benefits,nothing for people with low incomes.
  • smipsy
    smipsy Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Protect the homeowners at all costs, god forbid renters are given a break
  • smipsy said:
    Renters get rent paid if they lose their jobs.. Homeowners have to wait 39 weeks to access a LOAN to cover interest payments at 2%...

When you have no income for 39 weeks and still need to pay the mortgage and then the support you are given is 2% when your interest rate is 5% it's not really that much help is it.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    smipsy said:
    Renters get rent paid if they lose their jobs.. Homeowners have to wait 39 weeks to access a LOAN to cover interest payments at 2%...

When you have no income for 39 weeks and still need to pay the mortgage and then the support you are given is 2% when your interest rate is 5% it's not really that much help is it.
    Todays announcement reduces the 39 weeks to 13. It is still hard for those with mortgages compared to those renting.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar said:
    smipsy said:

Todays announcement reduces the 39 weeks to 13. It is still hard for those with mortgages compared to those renting.
    Are they increasing the support from 2%?
  • Has anyone heard when the 2.09 interest rate is going to be increased as my mortgage interest rate is now 4.99% and my monthly payment has gone from £350 to £874, DWP are lending me £222 monthly and my mortgage lenders are chasing me every month whilst threatening me with repossession if I can’t find the now £524 deficit. I’m mentally and physically disabled and don’t know where to turn.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Tulip99 said:
    Has anyone heard when the 2.09 interest rate is going to be increased as my mortgage interest rate is now 4.99% and my monthly payment has gone from g£350 to £874, DWP are lending me £222 monthly and my mortgage lenders are chasing me every month whilst threatening me with repossession if I can’t find the now £524 deficit. I’m mentally and physically disabled and don’t know where to turn.
    Are you interest only? If not., ask your lender if you can go interest only for a time. Any chance of a product transfer to a better rate?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback