Blogging - Is It Worth The Effort?

Options
jangus74
jangus74 Posts: 15 Forumite
First Post
edited 18 August 2022 at 5:13PM in Boost your income
So, having spent a lot of time on social media looking a millennials who are making thousands from blogging I've decided to have a go myself. I'm three months in and have spent countless hours writing and researching articles, not to mention the hours spent tearing my hair out trying to build a website that actually works.

Honestly, despite the effort I am yet to make a single penny but everything I've read says not to expect much in the first 12 months so Im in it for the long haul.

I'll document what Im doing on here and keep you updated on my progress and any pitfalls in case you're thinking of having a go yourself. 

I invite anyone else in the same position to share their experiences so we can see if this blogging lark is everything its cracked up to be.

Not sure if Im allowed to post a link to my site on here but I'll leave it for now just in case I get banned. the name of my website is [REMOVED BY FORUM TEAM] if anyone fancies a look - would be good to get some feedback as well. 

Speak soon

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope you have some success, but the trouble with blogs is that everyone and their dog are doing them, and the difficult bit is building up your audience of course. Aren't blogs all out of fashion now, and replaced by pod-casts?
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope you have some success, but the trouble with blogs is that everyone and their dog are doing them, and the difficult bit is building up your audience of course. Aren't blogs all out of fashion now, and replaced by pod-casts?
    Podcasts are a bit old hat too, everyones been doing them for years.

The "kidz" seem to do lots of short snappy videos on things like instagram or tiktok. But I think with anything like this, diversifying your content is going to be important. It cant just be one method now, you are blocking out thousands if not millions of potential visitors.

Its very difficult to find some kind of niche in the market, so you need to offer something different to what is already there. Lets say you are doing cookery stuff - why would I visit your blog/content over, say Jamie Oliver who has a free website, free youtube videos and so on.

Also have an idea of your target audience. 16-18 year olds use consume technology in a very different way to say a 35 year old.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure