Success thanks to the MSE team

Options
Delighted to say I have just been paid £6950 after challenging my council tax band.  I did try a few years ago but was told by the powers that be that' As I had lived in the property or more than 6 months , I wasn't eligible to challenge the band'. 
Now I am part of a unitary Authority ( don't ask!) I decided to pursue again using the steps you advised. The valuation office form was simple to fill in. I received a reply within 4 weeks saying I had a case and they would return with their decision in a matter of weeks. 2 weeks later- Yes you have been rebanded. The Authority had been informed.  Two months later £6950 appears in my account.  Thank you so much. You are doing such good work.  You really should be proud of yourselves.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 April 2022 at 5:10PM
    Options
    The rules haven't changed and your council now being a unitary authority is irrelevant as councils do not get involved in the banding process..

There still is a 6 month time limit on making a valid appeal against a CT band. However a CT payer who is out of time to make a valid appeal could always ask the VOA to investigate the band which is what the VOA should (but don't always) diligently do. Clearly the VOA staff you have now dealt with were more conscientious than those you originally dealt with and it is now easier as you can make an "out of time" challenge online. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,570 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Wonderful news, @maz052. I've shared your post with the wider MSE team - we're pleased for you!

MSE Laura F
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure