PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Flask cooking

Discovered I could cook quinoa in a food flask last night, to go with a vegetable tagline I did in the slow cooker. Preheated the flask with boiling water first, for 5mins. Meanwhile rinsed the quinoa, boiled more water, transferred the heating water into a vacuum flask to make tea with later, then put in the quinoa and fresh boiled water, closed the flask, a little shake, laid flask on its side, for 40 minutes. It usually takes 20 minutes on the hob. It cooked well, just the same routine as for brown rice. Got a portion of lentil & aubergine ‘bolognese’ out of the freezer for tonight will pair it with spaghetti cooked in the food flask. Have to break the spaghetti in half to get it into the flask. My apologies to any Italians reading this! The spaghetti will take 12 minutes. Really glad I looked online and YouTube, learning from people who’ve been doing this for years.

Comments

• Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 April 2022 at 4:57PM
    That's really helpful to know re quinoa - and quicker than I'd expected.  I'd been meaning to experiment. Did you do two portions of boiling water to one of quinoa or did you just fill the flask and drain it at the end?
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,326
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 April 2022 at 5:01PM
    I used to cook using a food flask years ago, firstly when I lived in the nurses home and the shared kitchen was along a long corridor and two flights of stairs up and often very busy! Then later to take in to work for a hot lunch on busy 12 hour shifts with no time to go to the cafeteria. I used to cook rice , or cous cous or porridge or those dried soups that came in a sachet. Or the sachets of flavoured rice. I had a kettle , fridge and sandwich toaster and learned to cook all sorts of things simply. Just warming the flask with hot water and then adding the dry food and topping up with water, then I would go off and work an 8 hour shift and come home to a hot snack/meal. I learned to cook eggs and veggie sausages in the sandwich toaster too and grated cheese was always good for protien. 

Oh yes for more exciting 'porridge' use muslie and hot water !!
    Hot rice with a tin of (cold) sardines mixed in is tasty and nutricious too!
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • hilarys
    hilarys Posts: 11
    First Post
    Forumite
    That that all sounds good. I’ll try some of those ideaa
  • hilarys
    First Post
    Forumite
    In answer to Broomstick - and I’m still stumbling around how to use this site - when I cook things in the flask I just fill it to within an inch of the top. I reckon whatever you’re cooking will absorb what it needs during the cooking time. I guessed quinoa would be twice as long as it said on the packet because it’s a hard grain. It’s possible I could have stopped the process earlier. I’m still experimenting.
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Hilarys. I know that, when I do porridge in the microwave or overnight in the flask, 2 to 1 works well so I just wondered if it's the same with other grains/seeds.  I'll base my supper tomorrow night around flask-cooked quinoa and see how it works out.

I'm planning on minimalist cooking over the summer months - my utilities bills are already pretty low (all things considered at the moment) but I'd like to reduce the spend even more.  I eat vegan, don't bother using a fridge anymore and plan to empty and switch off my freezer over the summer months too.  There's lots of good, cheaper, fresh food in season then and I'm lucky to have small shops nearby where I can shop little and often.  I'll alter the plan again when autumn arrives.  Doing more food flask cooking fits well with the plans.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,420
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm going to buys shares in Thermos, they must be doing very well at the moment.

• hilarys
    First Post
    Forumite
    You and me both! I think this idea still needs more options before it takes off though.
  • hilarys
    First Post
    Forumite
    I'm going to attempt a soft boiled egg in the flask today. I've already sussed out hard-boiled. Takes about 20 minutes, possibly a bit less, with an egg that's been out of the fridge and at room temperature. This time, after the pre-heat, roll the egg into the flask, fill with boiling water to within an inch of the top. Close flask, DON'T shake! And this time keep the flask upright. There's room for 2 eggs in a 500ml flask. I find all your other ideas interesting and helpful.

My bills haven't gone up yet as I had a very cheap deal with Eon: £30/month for my flat. I then went for a one-year fix with Eon. In a few days it will be £165.41/month, which also takes in the October rise. At least I know where I stand until next April, but that info certainly concentrated the mind!!
  • hilarys
    First Post
    Forumite
    Hi again, at lunchtime I found that 15mins produces a slightly softer hard boiled egg, so some other time I will try it for 10 mins. Can't do it tomorrow as I'm out all day, but I'll get there in the end!
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,326
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    That's really interesting about cooking eggs , I wouldn't have thought of that. We keep chickens so always have plenty of eggs. I prefer hard boiled though .

Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure